What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

R.I.P. Joanna Barnes (The Parent Traps) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unfortunately, Joanna Barnes has passed away at age 89.

She played Vikki, the fiancee, in The Parent Trap with Haley Mills. She also appeared as the equivalent character's mother Vicki in the remake with Lindsay Lohan. Obviously, her job in both of those movies was to be unlikeable, and she really succeeded in that respect. It's so satisfying to see Haley Mills mess with her because Joanna Barnes made us feel like Vicki deserved it. She also had a formidable enough screen presence to make Vicki feel like a genuine threat to Susan and Sharon's ultimate goal in that film. The movie would not have been as good without her.

It was such a fun idea to bring Barnes back in the remake as connective tissue to the legacy of the original film. Her role in that one was smaller, and I'm not sure why they changed the spelling of her name. But as a fan who repeatedly played the VHS of the original film, I remember being so happy to see her pop up there. I don't remember if I knew in advance that was going to happen or not, but it was a delight. I have a lot of friends now who unfortunately haven't seen the original and only know the remake, so for them, Barnes registers as just another actor. But I appreciated that they nodded to the history.

May she Rest In Peace.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
The original Parent Trap was one of several 60s Disney films my dad introduced to me when I was a kid (the others included In Search of the Castaways, also starring Mills, and The Love Bug). Never felt so invested in the stories! Loved them all.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Let's not forget her wonderful performance as the snotty Gloria Epson in AUNTIE MAME. She also co-hosted DATELINE HOLLYWOOD with Rona Barrett, a short lived TV show about Hollywood somewhat in the vein of ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Joanna Barnes also played Cynthia Fenwick in two hilarious episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" in the 1960s. She was very funny in those, too. What a lovely comedian!

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Joanna Barnes in Spartacus. One of my Favorite movies. A beautiful woman. R.I.P.
AA JOANNA B.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks