What's new

QVC's idea of surround sound: OMG! (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I happend upon QVC's "Tech Today" hour just now, and found them touting a "wonderful" "easy to connect" surround sound system for just $99.
As it turns out it was a "SCOTT" brand system who's "well known name in electronics so you know it's good". They even had the SCOTT rep touting how he's seen his friends spend "$299 for a similar system!!"
I was shocked at how misleading these guys were. They were touting how you can get that house shaking cinema sound from your TV, VCR, and DVD using this thing. This system obviously has no Dolby input etc of any kind, and to give you an idea of how aweful this thing is, it comes with speaker wire that comes with the RCA color coded plugs so you know where to plug them in!
Here's the best part, it was comprised of two front speakers the size of the box an engagement ring would come in at the jewelry store, one center speaker, one "subwoofer" and BEST of all, ONE rear SURROUND speaker WITH it's own volume control wheel on it!!! Too damn funny....
Of course they get this old guy on the phone who "just ordered it" and it "fit the bill exactly" for his surround sound satellite...
Don't get me wrong, QVC has some nice stuff, and I'm guilty of buying a Star Wars autographed poster on there, but to hear these guys tell the viewers that basically any other surround system you see is a waste of money and that this $99 piece of garbage will solve all their DVD surround needs is IMHO doing a BIG disservice to the uneducated HT customers watching.
Oh well, if the people watching don't do any kind of research before plunking down their cash, then I guess it will have to be a hard earned lesson in HT they'll have to learn.
p.s.
Here's a link to the above item:
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?...scott+surround

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind how great that would sound compared to your average television speakers.

I think it is great that goofy setups like these exist, they allow people with less dedication to enjoy a very entertaining hobby. The downside is when they say it sounds as good as mine. Not that mine is tremendous, but come on, those are Scott Brand.

On another note, a friend of mine had some older Scott monitors, and they really rocked. We'd say things like, "yea, you'll hear it at the party, (talking about dj monitors) we are going to use the Scotts!" Honest. Of course they were wood, not plastic.

Anyway,

Jon

AbelM

Second Unit
"Scott Brand"
Now I don't like to make redneck jokes or anything, but isn't this a paper towel brand? :star:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty funny... I like to watch QVC actually, and they sell decent stuff, but things like this just make me kinda sad. Especially if the person who buys it actually thinks that it will compete with even a $299 system.

A while ago I saw QVC selling the GoVideo DVD/VCR combo player, and they were touting as one of the advantages that "you can copy DVD's to tape with no hassle as long as they're not copyprotected". Which of course is true... but how many non-copyprotected DVD's can you think of? They shouldn't even have used that as a selling point, IMO.

/Mike

Ned

Supporting Actor
"room shaking bass"

Can you return it if the room doesn't shake? False advertising I think.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
>"room shaking bass"

>Can you return it if the room doesn't shake? False advertising I think.

No. It's room shaking if your house has paper walls like the Japanese have.

This is by far one of the more useless 'home theater' (!!!) systems I've seen and that includes the toys that masquerade as PC based speaker systems.

T.

ad spiel: From Scott, this Cinema Surround Home theatre is a one box solution, Just add to your existing TV and your ready to enjoy home theatre sound. Connects to your TV / VCR in minutes. Fills your room w/ Big sound not big speakers. Everything needed is included in the box!! Includes: powerful amplified subwoofer for room shaking bass, 1 video shielded center speaker, 2 micro left / right effects speakers- less than 2" high, 1 compact rear surround speaker w/ it's own volume control.2 YLMW. Black. China. Plastic & Wood Veneer.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I think here... you have... "exactly what you paid for"... It like those pionex home computers they sell.. my mom used to work at the QVC call center here...and she got a dozen calls aday about thos P.o.S... Ya know..if ya wanted something for the dogs house outside.. not a bad investment for 100 clams?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You know I saw this in a local Department Store (Ames) and I must say this doesn't sound so bad NOT I laughed at this system when I did see at Ames, I said I wouldn't even insult my enemy and get this for him. Well maybe I would.
This would be my sales pitch:
Sick of those Black Bars on your t.v.
Want your 19 inch t.v. and vcr to sound like Carnagie Hall
Well Scott has the system for you. Easy connection, Easy installation just by using two sided sticky tape. And the high powered subwoofer (that's the big Black box) would put you into the video and share what so many surround sound owners share.
The sound is so good, you'd think you had a 2,000.00 Bose sound system in your living room, or den. And all for 99.00;)

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I think we need to do a head to head shootout between the Scott System for $99 and one of those Bose Systems for 10x the money! :D
Eric.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
After looking at the whole system, I figure with a port that size, must go down to at least 20 hertz.:p) :laugh:

Damn, I feel so stupid. I spent $1500 on my speakers and I could have just spent $99 and had the same setup. Not to mention the money I would have saved on all that expensive wiring. And to think, I spent all that time build a sonotube subwoofer. What a waste. I guess you live and learn. I guess now that this system is being sold on QVC, it makes all my big old clunky speakers obsolete. Oh well, maybe I can get $30 for all of them on ebay.

I have all those shopping channels deleted from my program list so I never have to be tortured by their stupidity. I'm sure they do sell some decent products every now and then, but who in there right mind would sit there watching that crap waiting for the deal of the century? To each his own i guess.

Craig

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
A while ago I saw QVC selling the GoVideo DVD/VCR combo player, and they were touting as one of the advantages that "you can copy DVD's to tape with no hassle as long as they're not copyprotected". Which of course is true... but how many non-copyprotected DVD's can you think of? They shouldn't even have used that as a selling point, IMO.
The real question is; why would you want to copy DVD to tape? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks