What's new

Quick Question (Marantz SR7005) (1 Viewer)

Shaun Gupta

Auditioning
Real Name
Shaun
Hi all,

I think I know the answer to this, but I'm just making sure. (I did check the manual, but couldn't find where it expressly said).

I recently got a PS4, which can output 7.1 audio via HDMI (PCM Linear). I have 5.1 speakers connected to the Marantz SR7005 and configured as such (as 5.1) in the menus. When it's playing from the PS4, I see MULTI CH IN on the display and an icon depiction of the 7 channels (not 5) + sub. I'm taking this to mean that it's getting data for 7.1 channels, even though it should be outputting 5.1.

Audio sounds great, but I'm just making sure with this configuration, the receiver would be taking the 7.1 and converting the rear channels to the 5.1 speaker configuration. In other words, can I be sure I'm not "losing" audio for the 2 channels I don't have, and that all's being mixed into the rear speakers? (So the rear speakers would be getting the audio for the regular surround AS WELL AS surround backs).

Probably a dumb question, so thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes the Marantz is down mixing.

Every AVR when fed 7.1 info(which you'd get via bitstream as well) down mixes to 5.1...if that is your set up.

Shaun Gupta

Auditioning
Real Name
Shaun
Awesome - thanks! I figured this was probably the case but couldn't find confirmation of that anywhere. Appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks