What's new

Quick Question: Can you use any antenna to receive dtv broadcast? (1 Viewer)

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at the terk website right now (http://www.terk.com) and they offer specialized hdtv antenna, but i am wondering if i can use any antenna to the receive hdtv signal, like would the terk tv-50 be able to receive hdtv signal?
also if anybody is familiar with the terk tv50 or 55, then I am wondering if both are equally good at receiving regular analog tv signals?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
If you are close enough, any regular antenna will work, be it VHF or UHF. I have proven this to be true in my area.
But you have to have an HDTV receiver first, so it's a chicken/egg thing.
Your best bet is to borrow someone's STB and try it out. Mine worked with both the Radio Shack double box tie and another amplified RS antenna.
My signal strength is at about 50%, which isn't perfect, but so far, so good. I am waiting for some bad weather to show up so I can check that out.
No, I refuse to pray for rain!!
Some people will swear by getting an HDTV antenna, but I have yet to see any advantage, other then them getting more of your wallet filler.
Glenn

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
How well do you get analog stations? If you get them quite well (and especially, quite clear) with a regular antena, you should be fine.
I am within a few miles of the antennas out here, and my analog reception isn't great with a cheap RS bowtie antenna and 10db signal booster... No ghosting, but it's a bit fuzzy and doesn't have a stable picture. For digital, however, I have 100% signal strength on all channels.
If I had gotten poor signal strength I planned on buying a regular old directional antenna and booster and putting it in my attic. A fancy, pricey HD antenna never really crossed my mind. I suppose the only thing it must do is somehow eliminate ghosting (or multipath, as it's known here in the DTV realm...)

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
k, so any antenna will work but the specialized probably deliver a superior image.
How about the receiver now. I heard the cost start at 500, but i see couple dtv receivers on ebay going for maybe 60-300. If i am just concerened about getting digital tv (for its clarity over analog) to a regular tv, do i have to buy a specific dtv receiver or will any do.
Also I see them selling some hu card with the receivers, what is that for?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I see 3 different STB's out. Some TV's have them (1)
The other two are external. One is an over the air (OTA) and others work in conjunction with a sat dish.
The sat dish antennas attach to the back of the actual dish (on your roof, or wherever). These sets require you to aim the dish at the sat, but you can get by without signing up for dish service. The HU cards go into these receivers, but you should look up Dish & directv for more info.
The third types are OTA STB's. I think only Sony & Samsung have them out now. You just plug them in and they start up.
These boxes are supposed to retail for about $600, but there are deals out there, so look around. Even with my 50% reception, the pictures are fantastic!
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks