What's new

quick launch and search bar windows XP (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Every time i turn my computer on both the quick launch and search bar appear in my task bar. I turn them off every day but they keep coming back. How do i get rid of them for good?

thanks,
jay

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Uninstall the program in the Add/Remove Programs icon in the Control Panel or check your startup folder under your program menu and make sure the program isn't listed in there. If so, delete it. If it isn't, type "msconfig" in the Run... box and go to the startup tab. Look for an entry for the offending program and uncheck the box. You'll get a warning box after Ok'ing or on the next reboot talking about your custom selections, just Ok/yes it. Hope that takes care of it for ya.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I couldn't find anything having to do with the quick lauch or search bar in the add remove programs area. Also there are no boxes to uncheck in msconfig having to do with my 2 problems. Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep them coming. I'm beginning to think i have some sort of virus. Norton doesn't pick anyhting up though.

--jay

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm.........the program needs to show up somewhere to be running. Next easiest thing is to download Lavasoft's "Ad-aware" and see if you have some spybot programs running. Google will get you it.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to go for - your computer has a glitch.

I don't know what else to call them. As an example, when I save a picture I have a certain directory that they go in. The first time I hit the browse button and pick it, but after that, my PC is supposed to 'know' that I want them there, and will make that the default.

As you might have guessed, it stopped doing that. Every time it goes back to their default.
Another example is Norton AV. I have it set to run once a week, but about 8 weeks ago it just stopped doing that. I have to it manually now. I have other examples too.

No, I don't want any suggestions as to how to fix these, as there is only one solution. Unfortunately, it means reloading XP. It may bequire a format. I alway do that anyway. The best solution you are going to get is to complain to the maker. Oh, and this isn't an XP glitch - it has been going on as far back as Windows does.

Sorry, Glenn

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
thanks for the suggestions, i had just run adaware last week, so i downloaded the updates and ran it again, seems to have fixed the problems. i need to keep my adaware updated. it seems like i turn on my computer just for maintenance sometimes. lol,

thanks again,
jay

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
There is some confusion- I think the people thought you meant you had a search bar in your browser... but likely you meant the toolbars windows uses.

You need to see if you have admin rights on your machine, that could prevent the change from sticking.

-vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks