What's new

Questiong about HT receiver turned when off... (1 Viewer)

This may be a silly question, but bear with me, I'm still new to the game...

In the midst of my research and shopping for a new system, I remembered something... I won't be the only one using it. While I will have no problem whatsoever running all of my components through my receiver and turning it on every time, my fiancée would probably whine and complain about having to do so once we're married and she has moved in.

*sigh*

The question is, when the receiver is off, is there a default device that has a "pass-though" so to speak? What I mean is, is there some way that the receiver will automatically push the feed from my digital cable box through the component out to my TV when it is off? Or does it vary for each brand?

Edit: Yikes! Please excuse the subject line typos!

C'mon now, you know its not that simple, especially when the significant other isn't a techie or audiophile. ;)

Worst case, she'll just have to get over it. I'm just wondering if AVR manufacturers have considered such things.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Your cable box should have an RF pass-through, can you hook that up to your TV? Does your TV have an antenna or cable in hook-up? If not I think you will have to teach her how to use the HT. :)

I don't know of any receiver that will pass anything through when off.

Edit: If you have an HDTV cable box, you are most likely out of luck.

SeanMartin

Agent
Get a universal remote with programable macro buttons. You could set it up so all she has to do is press Macro 1 to watch TV or maybe Macro 2 to play the VCR/DVD. A friend of mine has done that so his family can use the system when he's not there.

Sean.

SeanMartin

Agent
Get a cheaper one. They don't have to cost $100 to get the macro programing. Heck you don't even have to like the remote, so long as it works for her.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Have faith, she will probably learn if she wants to watch, or she will just make you turn it all on for her. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks