What's new

Question,seeking opinions,Yam 2095 with Krell KAV500 Amp (1 Viewer)

Jim Thompson

Agent
O.K.,here it is you see.I was in my local shop
just messing around.When the subject came around to
the fact that they had a Krell KAV500 amp that they
would let me have for $2500.It's last years model or something like that.My salesman let me take it home to mess around with.Needless to say,what a difference!I'm going to
have a hard time giving this puppy up,if I don't buy it.:)
The soundstage opened up,the sound is more articulate.I
don't feel the bottom end is quite as fat as the internal Yamahas are,but a bit more acurate.
I had tried the RXV-1 at home and wasn't as impressed by the differences between it and my 2095.
Now here's my thought or question.Someone tell me if $2500 isn't a good deal for this amp.I know it's quite a lot off from the list.The only other issue I have is that spending this amount of money could put me into another receiver which has rear channel decoding for EX and ES and DPLII.I had been eye balling the 4802,Which I could get for less than the $2500 the amp will cost me.However this amp is kicking man.I dunno.What do you guys think.Will appreciate any responces.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
IMO, you would be absolutely crazy not to get that amp. It will outlast any receiver you could ever think of purchasing.

Jim Thompson

Agent
Yeah Richard that is what I'm inclined to do.I just don't

think I can give up this Krell amp now that I've heard it in

my system.Besides HT this Krell amp has given me a new appreciation for my CD collection.Music is where the most improvement is noticed.This amp is just so fast and clean

compared to the internal amps in the 2095.That's not to say the 2095 isn't up to the challenge,but the Krell just seams to disappear.Yeah,it's gonna be hard to pass this up.Funny

thing is I really wasn't looking to upgrade right at this time,so that's another issue I have to work out.That'swhy I wanted some reassurance that the $2500 was in deed a good deal.Thanks

GordonL

Supporting Actor
$2500 is about the going rate for a used KAV-500. While it is a fine amp, don't get excited just because it's a Krell. There are other amps in that same price range (or even less) that are just as capable of giving you high-end sound, some have quite a bit more power (200+ wpc @ 8 ohms). You should look at others before making a decision. BTW, the KAV-500 has been around for at least 4 or 5 years. It was discontinued a couple years ago.

Jim Thompson

Agent
Well,yeah,I know there are other amps.This is a brand
new amp though,not an used one.I thought of trying a B&K
piece as well.As far as wattage,I'm not so sure ,this KAV-500 Seems to have plenty of reserve.Besides that,I can already achieve levels beyond Dolby Standards with the internal amps in my Yamaha.I just don't think that as long
as I stay with my current Paradigm speakers(who knows ;) )I really need anymore than 100 watts per channel.The Paradigms are pretty easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks