What's new

question regarding hz rating on dvd players (1 Viewer)

Travis

Second Unit
I am pretty much sold on a the Denon 1600 but have a question compared to the sonys. Denon is supposed to be the top dog in the dvd department but I was noticing they use a 10 bit 54 mhz dac, where the sony uses a 12 bit 108 mhz dac. Wouldn't the picture quality on the sony be much better because of this?

David Judah

Screenwriter
Not necessarily. Alot of it has do with how the video DACs are implemented, just like with audio DACs. Plus there are other things that contribute to the overall picture quality of a DVD player. Specs get you in the ballpark, but they don't tell the whole story.

DJ

Travis

Second Unit
Thanks guys, I did a search but missed that thread. I can get the panny rp91 for about 300 dollars or the denon for 315 from my local vanns store. Does either have it's advantages. My use is 90% ht 10% or less music.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Here's a thread that covers that as well. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=169267

The Denon has a better deinterlacer especially noticeable with video based material. The Panasonic has a nice scaling feature for non anamorphic DVDs and a plethora of picture adjustment parameters that the player will remember the next time you put the DVD in. They are both excellent.

I've used both with my system and preferred the RP-91 overall, but others have been presented with the same choice and chose the Denon.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks