What's new

Question re: Netflix and shipping, help! (1 Viewer)

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
It seems only recently that I can't get a new title shipped until I return one, unless I report "lost in the mail" I had been able to check "delayed", and I'd get a title when I mailed an old one. Is this a new problem, if so - it significantly impacts the timing, and I'll cancel and go to another service. Anyone have thoughts?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Apparently this is a new change that affects (at least) East Coast people. I still have an option of clicking "Mailed Back" link (which says to do so if I mailed it back more than 4 days ago). My friend from Maryland has complained about the same problem as you, too.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of Netflix service downgrades.

I'm checking discs in as lost so I can get a new one to ship, but so far I'm only doing one at a time. I don't know how many discs you can have marked as lost before they freeze your account.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
So glad I came across this thread! I mailed two discs back on the same day at the same Post Office at the same time - one was received a week ago, and the other has not been marked as "received" yet.

I didn't even realize there was a "lost in the mail" option. Thanks for the info!

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I don't know how many discs you can have marked as lost before they freeze your account.
I should know because they tried to freeze my account recently. I sent their CS a testy email and they rescinded the freeze.

Follow the rules they've set up and they freeze the account.. go figure. I've had deliveries take anywhere from 3 days (rare) to 3 weeks (rare). Nothing lost yet.. but after 4 days.. who knows until it finally shows up. If deliveries from the west coast didn't take so long, it might be a good deal.

Still, their customer service has been responsive and I plan to give them another month or so.

I tried RentMyDVD.. but their rental plans are too limiting to suit me. I want something between 4 and 10 out.

I tried DVDBarn.. which sounds promising, but their selection is still pretty limited, i think. Also, of 3 DVDs that shipped from them on one day.. I got one 4 days later, one on the 5th day, and 1 on the 6th day. OTOH, they have some program where you can tell them you've sent a disc back and they'll ship another out before receiving the returned disc.

I may go back to them if Netflix does not satisfy.

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I just started noticing the lack of the "delayed" feature for me as well (here in MN). I'm getting very close to canning Netflix at this point since the only reasons I'm still with them is the selection and my laziness (I don't want to bother with video stores)...with the delayed feature, I was pretty happy with them, but waiting the extra 4-6 days plus the time it takes them to get it in the mail is almost the last straw. :thumbsdown:

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I like the way they rig the arrival date. The DVD's almost always shows up a day earlier than when they say it does, that way they can make you wait longer before you can report it delayed.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I have also noticed this new scheme. The only choice you have now is to report a disc lost, but you can only do this 10 days after it has been shipped. The fastest turn around from them time they ship it and you return it next day seems to be around 15 days for me. This is totally ridicules. Does it really take this long time to send an envelop back and forth?

I was also thinking of upgrading to 6 discs (I have 4 now) but they removed it and also increased the prices. If I want 8 discs it will now be $40 plus tax.

Maybe it is time to change location. Any other places that exist on the East coast?

Ron Birk

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
I guess the only other problem is that in general, I've been happy with Netflix. Because of the large inventory, I've been able to watch many movies I wouldn't other wise that my local rental store doesn't carry. Others I may want to rent first before purchasing, or watch some older releases I'm sure I wouldn't want to own. This might be a tough problem if I quit the service. Perhaps others(?) besides us true home theater fans are taking advantage of the service in some way, and netflix feels it needs to protect its interests by changing its policies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks