What's new

Question re: "From Hell" (Spoilers)..... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was watching "From Hell" last night and noticed something peculiar. I am wondering if anyone else noticed it. I listened to the commentary for the scene and it was not mentioned.
When Depp's character confronts the doctor(Ian Holm) about being the Ripper. Do they change the color of his eyes? The whole movie his eyes are green. But, when he admits to being the ripper and when they show flashbacks of him doing the killings his eyes are a dark black. Did anyone else notice this??

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
It's hard to notice on DVD or VHS but at theatre it was quite evident. Of course his eyes were about 27" big on the big screen.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
It's a contact lense effect. If you watch the closing credits there's a credit for "Contact Lense Technician - Ian Holm" or something to that effect. I thought it was a very effective way of distinguishing the sane Dr. Gull from the insane Jack within.
- guy

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Guy: Weren't they really the same, uhh, guy? I saw no indications that he was insane, just madly betrothed to the Masons and willing to do their dirty work.

It was done to this effect to show that he becomes "evil" and consumed by the "devil" and kills. I believe its a dramatic effect and also as was stated before to seperate the same doctor from the insane as to be evident to the average viewing audeince.

This method was used in a great way in the series Babylon 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks