What's new

Question on Official HD DVD copying... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I've been reading that this method of copying that is OFFICIALLY supported by both camps uses some kind of encryption software so that it can only be played on one hard drive, or one DVD disc, and CANNOT be copied elsewhere.

This might be a great way to safegaurd personal data as well. Most of my computer backup is on a portable hard drive, including my HDTV Taped movies and TV shows. Not only would it be a great way to safegaurd personal info like username and passwords from hackers and stealers, but it would also help protect the personal HDTV stuff..

Any info out there on how this process works, and how expensive it is?

Neil

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Neil, I’m not trying to be aggressive, but I just don’t understand your post. What is “this method?” and who are “both camps?”

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It's something in the AACS specification, known as "managed copy". At last report, the consumer electronics companies hadn't agreed what it was going to be, which is why the HD DVD [and, soon, Blu-ray] players are shipping with AACS v0.9, and Windows Vista has been delayed again. At least, that's what discussion on this Forum has indicated. Certainly the AACS Web Site indicates that only an "interim license" is available.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think they are talking about OTA TV shows. The networks can allow you to copy it once, or many times, or not at all. These 'flags' are available today. I know this because I have encounted the 'copy once', and the 'copying is not allowed' flags.

I wouldn't want this to be available to play only on one drive or whatever, because if/when it breaks down, you'll have more garbage in next week's trash can.

This problem could become more noticable after the US goes digital, and if the networks got together on this, and didn't allow any copying at all, you'd be up the creek if two shows that you wanted to see were on at the same time.

Glenn

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I too have noted that any copy protection launching on 1st generation HD players are listed by industry as only interim stopgap.

My concerns are with personal copys when PC DVD read/write drives go HD. They cannot tie this to burning harddrive for read. I can't see it ever happening. Oherwise whats the point of burning ever. My family carries around memory sticks willi nilly downloading them at whichever home the family gathering is at and burning multiple discs so everyone has the pics of the day. I almost bought the HD minicam last purchase but decided it was too early generation...would love an HD capable burner when I do.

I'm assuming any talk of tying to a drive with a 'key' would only apply to copyrighted film & broadcast. I wouldn't care if this was applied to broadcast material myself but many would; as fair use should allow you to watch your LT inflight, - burnt on your home DT. Or for me, I could see carrying shows over to Mom's to catch up while I babysit her house for the cableguys appt. ect.

I too have gone through Sooooomany burners (glitchy things) that linking it in any manner to the deck which created would be LOL.

....HDMI HDCP and PC CP, its getting to where nothing works - nothing handshakes, and when you get it finally sorted out a piece of the chain (software/hardware) breaks. Grave concerns over the new 'core' PC chips with the 'bank vaulted.' keys. In our past when a virus/hacker/worm got in....(and they will crack this vault eventually) you lost your personal photos/work you had not backed up....had to wipe and/sometimes easiest to replace the HardD, clear bios, - then a fresh load of software. It is still rare to have something permantly damage partitions on your HardD or get to the BIO's (although this just happend to my mother, permantly damaged segments due to virals). With the new chips when it gets to the 'core' there goes your hardware........It's getting insane.

Rant off...I become entirely emotional when AACS & like come up. What did Mark Cuban state (love that man) paraphras...if you want them to have it where they want it, when they want it, how they want it...then why are starting from the premise that they are all criminals.

and I spoted recently that 2 new interfaces geared towards CP security beefing to replace Firewire, USB, HDMI for PC's are out on the distant horizon in connection with HD.....UGH.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks