What's new

Question on HK avr 520 and 525 (1 Viewer)

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
i know thet the 520 has 5 channel amds and can be 7.1 if you add an amp , the 525 has 7 channel amps already but no main in.

525 has more formats than the 520(dd,dts.dts es ,dd ex,etc)

do both have Ezset?

which of these 2 has bass management for sacd/dvd a?

debating which one to go for as the HK 525 is $650 and the HK520 is $520.

David Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
i too am contemplating these 2 receivers. i have been leaning towards the 520 for a few reasons: price - i can afford a 520 in the next week, while the 525 would be another month or two of saving; neither has a phono input, which is a must for my house, however, since the 520 needs additional amplification for 7.1 i will probably use my vintage marantz receiver for the phono and rear speakers (this may not make the 520 a better choice, but since i have an external amp anyway why pay for it again); the 525 has dolby digital ex and the 520 doesn't, which i wouldn't mind having. right now i do not own any dd ex dvds, but do have a few dts es discs, so the 520 would do fine. plus i have a loophole - my sister-in-law wants me to set her up with a modest home theater system when she moves into her new house in about 6 months, maybe less. i can use the proposed 520 set-up until then and she will buy it from me if i want to sell it and upgrade. and that, along with the price difference, is helping me to persuade my wife. so, i think i've managed to convince myself now. maybe this will help you too.

david

ps - and the price difference will allow me to save up for that ac-3 rf demodulator i need.

altan

Stunt Coordinator
What is meant by the 525 as no main in?

I thought it had 8 inputs for an external processor...

... Altan

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
do both have bass management for the dvda /sacd?

is this really important for sacd/dvd a as i play a lot of music in these formats.

Raphael O

Stunt Coordinator
tnx tom -i think my sony dvp ns755 has bass management - i guess il go with the cheaper HKavr 520 for now.

C

Chris*Liberti

Actually I know that a few do do bass management but they convert the signal to digital to do bass management and then back to analog which can degrade the signal. The Pioneer Elite VSX49TXi does do bass management if paired with the DV47Ai. The signal stays in the digital domain with this setup so no degradation. I think the same can be said for the Denon AVR5803 and DVD9000 combo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks