What's new

HK AVR 520 question (1 Viewer)

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I know,go get the 525,but:D ......on adding the rear channel amp for 6.1 and 7.1 what do I need to get???The manual is amazingly confusing:angry: .Would buying the lower end HK amp do the trick??

Chriss M

Second Unit
you need two channels of amplification. you could go with the lower end HK, but why not get a nice 2 channel amp for your main speakers, and then re-route 2 of the HK's amp channels to power your surround back's.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Greg,
Check out the HK 2000. I've heard nice things about this unit. I see that, at EBay, there's one right now for $200-250 with the "buy it now" option. I don't know the seller though, so you'd have to check that out. I think it runs at 100 watts/channel, bridged.

Chriss M

Second Unit
The 520 has amp inputs as well as pre-outs. You just remove the jumper that connects the front L/R preout to the amp section. Then connect the Front L/R preouts to your external amp, and then connect the Surround back L/R preouts to the unused amp inputs on the HK, using standard interconnects.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Out of curiosity.

How are the amps in the HK receivers? They sound like they would be good. They are always pushing their +/- 45amp "high current" amp sections.

I wasnt sure if HK was just into marketing BS or anything like that. If they are powerful and dynamic and such, then thats great.

I really want the AVR525!

Chriss M

Second Unit
well they are the only receiver manufacturer that gives their power ratings 20hz-20khz, all channels driven, so that should say something. Their models always test out at or above rated power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks