What's new

question on 3:2 pull down and DVDs (1 Viewer)

My Hitachi HDTV has a 3:2 pull down circuit that must be manually switched on (not automatic). Should I be using this feature only with broadcast and cable film media or is it also desired/required for DVD movies? I can see a considerable difference with Cox cable movies but not so much with DVD.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
You might not be seeing a difference with DVDs because your DVD player may be doing the 3:2 pulldown. Navigate your player's menus to find the option and then try turning either the TV's 3:2 on with the player's off OR the TV's 3:2 off with the player's on and decide on which one is better

So the bottom line is that 3:2 pulldown IS designed to be used with DVD media (at least Hollywood type motion pictures as opposed to a music DVD or something shot with video cameras)? Wonder how an IMAX DVD plays into this?

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Yes, as far as I understand it, 3:2 pulldown is intended for DVD movies. Movies are shot at 24 frames/second, while TV pictures are made at 30 frames/second. 3:2 does a complex conversion that all boils down to repeating some of the movie pictures the right number of times so that they synchronize with the video pictures.

Not sure about the IMAX question though...

Okay. Thanks for the tip. I think my Panasonic DVD recorder may have this feature too. It has a Cinema mode. I guess I'll need to look into it a little deeper.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the DVD player is progressive scan and outputting component video in progressive scan mode, the TV will not be using its 3-2 pulldown circuits.

Otherwise the 3-2 pulldown choice needs to be evaluaged for all video sources, including VHS, depending on whether the show is a 24 fps movie.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

MuneebM

Supporting Actor

Really? I do notice a difference watching DVDs in progressive connected via component when I toggle my 3:2 pulldown... or it might just be placebo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks