What's new

Question for NYC subscribers to Time Warner digital cable (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm debating whether to switch over, but there's one big issue holding me back. With analog cable there are still a number of basic channels that aren't scrambled and can be recorded by a VCR or TiVo, or played through another TV, without going through the cable box. Is that still the case with the digial service?

I realize that many people don't have setup where this would be an issue, but I've found it enormously helpful in situations where the networks program aggressively against each other, as they have this year. The channels I need to be able to access directly without the box are the networks (CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, UPN, WB) and the local PBS stations (Thirteen and WLIW 21). Can anyone with TW digital in NYC confirm whether these remain accessible? Thanks in advance!

M.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure I'm fully understanding what you're asking but I'll try to answer anyway.

I think what you're saying is theat you split the cable before it gets to the box and sending the split signal to your tv/vcr/tivo.

If that is what you mean there shouldn't be any difference. Its the same cable.

When I upgraded to digital it was very easy. Didn't even need a cable guy in my place. Just went to the office on 23rd street, exchanged my analog box for digital, went home and hooked it up. No problems. With all the splits off the main cable (TV, vcr, vcr 2, road runner) in addition to the normal home theater cables the area behind my TV; it looks like a cable breeding factory.

BTW, I love all the new channels I get with digital, TCM, Sundance, Independant Film Channel, Espn News, Espn Classic, BBC America, and all the extra premiums. Plus to see the yankees you're going to need digital so sign up, you won't regret it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If that is what you mean there shouldn't be any difference. Its the same cable.
I figured it would be. But is it the same signal?
When you swapped your box, did they have to do anything from the main office before you started to receive the digital signal?
M.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I've had TWC digital & now I have TWC digital HDTV, and they both work the same as regular in regards as to what you are saying. For instance, channel 4 can be seen on channel 14 without the box, channel 7 on 17, etc. In fact, PQ is better without the box!

Phil L

Supporting Actor
>>I figured it would be. But is it the same signal? >When you swapped your box, did they have to do anything from the main office before you started to receive the digital signal?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks for the info, guys. Turns out I won't be doing the upgrade because, contrary to the information on their website, TWC-NYC does not provide a watch-and-record box for DTV, just for analog. With all the scheduling conflicts I'm working around between now and June, I just can't afford not to be able to (a)TiVo one show off the box, (b) tape another off the direct feed, and (c) watch a third in real time off the other half of the box.
I read off the website to two different TWC phone reps, and they both were baffled. "I don't know why it says that; we don't offer it."
M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
TWC-NYC has PVR digital cable receivers now?
Not sure I understand the question, but I think the answer is "no" (at least not in NYC). My TiVo is a standalone unit.

The watch-and-record box is really just two cable boxes in one unit. It allows you to pull in one scrambled signal for a recording device (PVR or VCR) and another one for direct connection to the monitor. I added a splitter on the raw signal so that I could get an additional source to record non-scrambled channels.

M.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

Ah, gotcha. I was confused.

I do know that Scientific Atlanta has a digital cable box with a PVR in development, and I thought maybe they had already rolled them out in NYC.

I split the analog channels out so that I can 'watch and record'...it works for me because there is very little I record off of the digital tier.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I split the analog channels out so that I can 'watch and record'...it works for me because there is very little I record off of the digital tier.
That's where I'll end up when I get my TWC-NY HD box next summer. For the next three months, I'll need my current arrangement to deal with the Sunday night pile-up.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks