What's new

Question for amplifier/electronics experts (1 Viewer)

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
I just replaced the power switch in my Hafler SE240 power amp. The original switch had a ceramic disc capacitor soldered across the lugs of the switch. What purpose does the cap serve? Secondly I pulled up the manuals for the Hafler XL280 and DH120 they both specify the cap at .005Uf the one on my Hafler SE240 was a .015 UF 1.6 KV. This was probably not the original Hafler part as I purchased the amp from someone who bought a lot of Hafler inventory on closeout and assembles them himself. The closest match at Radio Shack was a .01Uf either 500v or 2KV. I went with the .01Uf 500v cap. Does this sound OK? The amp works fine and the switch now lights up. Should I leave it as is? Just want to get some assurance from hafler owners that the cap is OK.
Thanks'
Chris

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking it's there to catch any electrical transients from the switch opening or closing that can result in speaker pops. The differences could be due to a typo, production change, or just the previous owner needing a slightly greater value for some reason.

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Halfer SE120 sitting in my room temporarily powering my mains.

When it is on but idle, the power light flickers. When a source is played, the light remains solid red.

You could alwyas contact Musical Designs who mod the haflers.

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Thanks for everyones help. Most of the Haflers seem to use a .005Uf 1000V so I wonder if the 500v is adaquet, the 2Kv seems like overkill.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
They are typically called "spark killers", and are found in many amps. If the leads are long enough, for the new switch, just unsolder and reuse old cap.

Metal Oxide Varisters (MOV), which look like a large ceramic cap, are sometimes used for a current limiter, to prevent or lesson start-up thump. These will not be across the switch, but in series with the transformer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks