What's new

Question: Denon Product Naming (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Hi, I was just browsing a couple retailers, and noticed something strange (well, to me anyway)

They have the regular line of 1602, 1802, 2802, etc etc etc but some have a line such as AVR-682, AVR-982, etc.

THey are priced pretty close together, and they appear new since they are listed as having DPL2, and similar feature sets to the one's in Denon's regular naming scheme.

Can anybody explain this to me Thanks

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The Denon series you are referring to are the models that are sold in retail outlets such as Best Buy. From what I've read on this forum they are exactly the same. For example, I believe the 682 = 1602 and the 982 = 1802. I think the power ratings for the 682 and 982 are rated at 6 Ohm instead the 8 Ohm for the 1602 and 1802. I'm sure other people could explain this better that I can.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul

Try doing a search for Denon 682 and you should find more information.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Thank you Paul, that information helped me find a bit more on it... Now if only I could figure out why there is a price difference between models....?

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Thanks again Paul, it's much appriciated. I found a couple other threads along those lines as well, seems they are identical, yet the three digit version's are aimed for regular consumers, and a little cheaper.
Now a new question: Is Etronic.com a certified Denon dealer, and would I have a valid warentee if I bought it and had it shipped to Canada? Off to email them I suppose :)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I'm not sure if etronics is an authorized dealer or not. Denon should have a list of authorized online dealers at their website. It would be alot faster than emailing them.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Just checked at denon.com. Etronics is not an authorized Denon dealer. I would defintely recommend buying from an authorized dealer even if it is more expensive, just in case you eventually do have a problem it will be under warranty. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Well, getting it from an authorized e-dealer is (literally) no better then buying from local retailers, the prices are EXACTLY the same, right to the doller, but with shipping on top of it.

It's $140 less at an unauthorized dealer, but sadly, I can't afford not to have a warentee.

Thanks for all the help.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Call Steve at ext 511 at 6th ave and tell him your are broke but want a Denon bad. Tell him Earl said he was giving them away. And etronics stands behind the products they sell. I just did not want to take a chance with the Denon.

Jeff Brink

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott,

Just to chime in and further confuse matters... I have recently done quite a bit of researching for a Denon 3802. I did find very good pricing on line at acousticsounddesign.com. I was ensured by the them that they would handle any warranty issues should they arise. I researched their company reviews and found them to be very favorable. Just when I was prepared to move ahead with the purchase, I checked Ebay for pricing and info. I found a company on Ebay selling the speakers that I wanted. I emailed them about the warranty and "authorized dealer" status and they emailed me back asking me to call them to discuss - so I did. I spoke with the owner and he explained that they were not an authorized dealer but that they would honor all warranties that were available. I asked him how. He explained that he purchases all of his merchandise in very large quantities from authorized dealers. Because of the volume of his buys, he gets pricing not far above wholesale. He then turns around and sells it, with a margin of course, for far less than we could purchase stuff for at the same dealer. If a warranty issue arises, he has the customer send the gear back to him, and he personally takes it to the dealer and has it handled - as he was the original purchaser. In theory, I did not see how this could NOT work. Before making my decision to buy from him, I went to my local Hi Fi Buys store and explained what I intended to do. When the warranty issue was brought up, I explained how we would get around it. They then asked me what my quote was. I told them expecting them to not come close to it. To my dismay, they came to within $100 on a $2500 purchase! To me, the xtra money to buy from them was worth it, just to know that I could drive my gear to the store and have it handled. No worries about shipping and handling, etc. In any case, I just wanted to share this info with you. There are ways around the "authorized dealer" issue as explained. More importantly, at this time of year especially, you are more capable of getting authorized dealers to get close to matching internet pricing. Good luck.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Jeff. Sadly, I'm not prepared to do that big a runarund if a problem does arrise from an "unauthorized" dealer, shipping to and from Canada would be pricey, and WAY too much of a hassle for my liking. I think I'll spend the $100 or so more, so I can have the confidence that if something breaks down, I can go on a 15 min drive and drop it off to my local dealer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks