What's new

Question concerning Canadian sales tax refund (1 Viewer)

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all:

I am a US resident. If I purchase Paradigm speakers in Ontario, Canada. will I be able to get reimbursed for both the GST and PST taxes? For some reason I ddin't think you could get reimbursed for the PST tax.

Thanks for the info.

John

Randy G

Second Unit
I was up in Toronto about 6 months ago and both the store and airport customs said you only get ONE of them back, although I forgot which one.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I'm not sure in Ontario but here in B.C. you can only apply for the Federal GST (7%) back from the government on purchases over $200 or something like that.

Patrick

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
I was under the impression that both were refundable, but there's a minimum purchase required. Merchants are not allowed to collect taxes on goods shipped out of their territory.

So, if I, in Quebec, order from Ontario, they CANNOT charge the Ontario tax, but do charge the federal tax.

If they ship out of the country, they CANNOT charge you either tax.

Have them shipped.

B

BradP

I just got back from Canada, live in the US, bought my Paradigms in Ontario.

I got the GST (7%) back right at the Duty Free shop, and they were also able to give me the form to mail in for the PST (8%).

So, if you buy in Ontario, Canada, you get it ALL back, though you gotta mail in for the 8% PST. In the end, you pay NO tax. It's an incredibly great deal.

Brad

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
On a somewhat related issue, if I purchase an audio component (i.e. Bryston SP-1) from someone in Canada (through Audiogon or eBay), what charges should I expect to pay to have it shipped to the United States beyond the typical shipping charges? Do any of the taxes being discussed here apply, and if so are they refundable?

Thanks,

Michael

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Michael, technically I believe they need to charge you GST but in reality no one does on person to person sales. The thing you will notice if its shipped via UPS or Fedex is a brokerage charge on top of the shipping charge for their customs brokers to determine the customs liability which should be zero but they still need to do it so they charge you.

Patrick

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, depends on the province. Ontario gives you back the PST, but Quebec and B.C. do not. I got my Paradigm's in Quebec and was only refunded the GST, not PST. But I know a guy who got them in Ontario and he was all set, reimbursed for both.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"The thing you will notice if its shipped via UPS or Fedex is a brokerage charge on top of the shipping charge for their customs brokers to determine the customs liability which should be zero but they still need to do it so they charge you."

Brokerage charge? For something that I might be purchasing for around $2000 from someone in Canada (and it will be shipped FedEx), what should I expect the brokerage charge to be?

Thanks again,

Michael

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Brokerage fees are like a service charge. Usually under $50., unless the items is subject to duty, taxes, whatevers.

As for the sales taxes (GST, PST, HST), only dealers are authorized (and required) to collect and remit them. In other words, if I sell you an item, you are required to submit the sales tax to the government. Since you are in the US, or rather since the item left the country, the amount to remit is zero.

Dealers are required to obey the regulations, so when they are required to collect the tax, they must. When they are not required, they are FORBIDDEN to collect it.

There are ways to ship things without a broker. The advantage of a broker is that the item will not be delayed at the border. You can come here in person to shop, pay (with no sales tax to try to have refunded later) and ship the item immediately to the States. As long as the dealer ships it (and has a waybill as proof that they shipped it out of the country), your invoice is tax-free. No need to apply for and wait for a refund.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Brokerage charge? For something that I might be purchasing for around $2000 from someone in Canada (and it will be shipped FedEx), what should I expect the brokerage charge to be?
Randy is correct that it should be under $50 but if you go to the respective shipping companies websites they do have rates. And, depending on which way you ship it they do have services that include the brokerage fees. You may want to do this as $2000 piece is subject to higher brokerage fees, a la they charge you brokerage respective to the value of the item no matter how small or esay it was to clear.

Patrick

Randy G

Second Unit
Seems I've gotten mixed answers regarding the tax, brokerage, refunds, BS etc, and combined with my own personal experience, is exactly why I don't buy or sell stuff from/to Canada. Oh how much fun it would be trying to deal with the tax stuff and schlepping a whole system back on the plane....

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Oh how much fun it would be trying to deal with the tax stuff and schlepping a whole system back on the plane....
True there are problems even with NAFTA but sometimes the deals are so good that you save 30 to 40% so it does become worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks