What's new

Question about the current line from Marantz (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I read in a post here on this board that the Marantz line, or certain models in the current line, do not have true dts-es or dd-ex. Is this true? Can some one explain this for me? The Marantz website just says dd6.1 compatible and dts 6.1 compatible. Does this mean they are just using matrix modes?

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
For the 7200 on down, that is correct. The 8/9200 have discreet rear channels. However, I believe the new 7300 offers a discreet sixth channel, though I'm not sure about the new models below that.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The current line is capable of decoding both EX and ES using their own proprietary decoder. In other words, 6.1 material works and sounds fine.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
So in a sense it is and isn't. It can decode the 6th channel, but it is some proprietary thing from Marantz. Thanks for the info guys.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I can't remember which store mentioned it, but i remember one of the salesmen said that the x200 line, which is now being replaced by the x300 line, came out before (?) DD and DTS had their consumer decoders available. I can't remember if it was from a cambridge soundworks store (which i dont trust too much) or a local high-end place. But regardless, yeah the older line did 6.1 fine, but it doesn't say Dolby Digital EX. It is only "compatible" as john said. The new line has kosher EX and ES processing and has DTS ES discrete as well.

He is not correct on that. What he means to say is that for the 7200 on down, there is not kosher EX/ES processing. The sixth channel isn't discrete with EX/ES. Erm, well it is with ES discrete, but that's still pretty rare. Gad, I hope i'm not confusing you, but it's in the primer. I swear, there's a Dolby/THX/DTS conspiracy to confuse people about surround sound. EX, ES, ES discrete....GAH! And then they attach "6.1" to all of those, or "7.1". pffffft. All it does is confuse everybody about everything.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
You say that I'm not correct then go on to verify my statement (?) There is not DTS ES Discreet decoding on the 7200 and below, only matrix proprietary decoding. The new 7300 offers DTS ES Discreet. And by Rear channels, I obviously meant surround back, not sides.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Haha, that's just me talking out of my ass again. :P Sorry. Well, actually, I guess what i was trying to get at was this whole "matrixed mode thing."
Well, I just wanted to clarify that EX and ES ARE matrix modes, that 6th channel is matrixed. It's just that the "matrix mode" that marantz was using wasn't the kosher thx ex, or dolby digital ex, or whatever you wanna call the extended surrounds. The older models didn't decode DTS ES discrete. The new ones now, in addition to decoding the EX/ES material with "real" (whatever THAT means) dolby matrix decoding, ALSo have DTS ES discrete. Lol, chris, I have these kind of arguments with people all the time when at the end we all realize that we all agree. I was just trying to clarify this whole Ex/ES/discrete/matrix/6.1 bologna that i always think nobody understands :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks