Question about speaker wire. Not what you're thinking... :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd stone, Dec 13, 2001.

1. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Question: When you buy speaker wire, you know how you have to kinda cut / splice it and peel off the plastic and then you insert the copper speaker wires int your receiver?

Well, when I do this, I actually lose a couple of fiber strands... Is there sound loss going on from this? I mean sound still works fine but what would losing some strands do?

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

A few strands shouldn't make a difference. If you cut a whole bunch out, that's probably not a good thing. Basically, it depends on how anal you are about these things [​IMG]

3. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

I've always heard that you shouldn't loase any threads at all, but I doubt losing one will screw the sound up..

If don't want to lose any threads, just get a wire stripper, set it to the correct gauge and let 'er rip!

Nathan

4. Dan_C

Dan_C Agent

Todd,

I'm one of those anal types that will try again if I break a few strands of wire. If you are too (not that it has anything to do with a loss of sound quality; which it probably doesn't) I find the best way to avoid breaking any wires is to use the good ol' dental work (the same thing I open my bottles with). I always seem to lose a few strands with the wire stripper.