What's new

Question about speaker wire. Not what you're thinking... :) (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
Question: When you buy speaker wire, you know how you have to kinda cut / splice it and peel off the plastic and then you insert the copper speaker wires int your receiver?

Well, when I do this, I actually lose a couple of fiber strands... Is there sound loss going on from this? I mean sound still works fine but what would losing some strands do?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
A few strands shouldn't make a difference. If you cut a whole bunch out, that's probably not a good thing. Basically, it depends on how anal you are about these things :)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I've always heard that you shouldn't loase any threads at all, but I doubt losing one will screw the sound up..

If don't want to lose any threads, just get a wire stripper, set it to the correct gauge and let 'er rip!

Nathan

Dan_C

Agent
Todd,

I'm one of those anal types that will try again if I break a few strands of wire. If you are too (not that it has anything to do with a loss of sound quality; which it probably doesn't) I find the best way to avoid breaking any wires is to use the good ol' dental work (the same thing I open my bottles with). I always seem to lose a few strands with the wire stripper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks