What's new

Question about playing "Never Winter Nights" online? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i've been playing this game for quite some time now (level 12 character) and i figured it's about time i went online. so i connected to multi-player and created an account. then i joined an internet/lan game...then got totally lost.

i couldn't figure out exactly what to do next. some games let me use my character, other games forced me to create one from scratch. also, once i got into a game, i wasn't sure where to go, etc.

a couple of times people "invited" me to join, but then when i tried talking to them, i didn't get responses. also when i went looking for them i couldn't locate them.

so, i'm sure i'm just doing something wrong.

also, i'm assuming anything that happens to my on-line character does not affect my "stand-alone" character? i built him up legit and would hate for him to die online.

finally, what does all that pvp full whatever stuff mean? something about allowing players to attack eachother vs. enemies only?

anyway, all suggestions and comments are appreciated.

thx,

ted

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
PVP means that players can attack other players. Supposed to add a sense of "realism" to the game. Be warned that there are those out there that just like killing other players.

"also, i'm assuming anything that happens to my on-line character does not affect my "stand-alone" character? i built him up legit and would hate for him to die online."

No, you are just using a saved image of your character to go online with. It dosn't really affect you game character (although, you can save what you do outside of the single player game and import that character into the beginning of a module or chapter). It's one reason why it is good to save your character at every level and keep a copy of it. That way you always have one you can play online with at a variety of levels.

As far as some games letting you use your character and some not, it's totally up to the host of the game. If they make you use a new character it is usually one that is specifically for that person's game, and is a precaution against cheaters/hackers/twinks. What to do depends on if they are having you play a homebrew or official module. There are alot out there who slop something together without regard for usability and invite people to play. These modules can be difficult as there is sometimes no clear objective.

The main key, as with most online gaming. is to find people you like to play with and go from there.

...edited for beer induced spelling errors...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ahh...thanks travis. that does clear up several of my questions. btw - didn't you help me with my other nwn questions too? :emoji_thumbsup:
btw - no need to edit due to beer mistakes. been there and definitely done that! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks