Question about my Samsung DLP connection.... (m)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David-C, Oct 14, 2004.

1. David-C

David-C Auditioning

I recently bought a Samsung 56" DLP (HLN567W).

I also have a Comcast HDTV tuner (I think it's made my Motorola).

I started by connecting the Comcast box to the DLP using componant video (green, blue, red).

This is fine for watching HDTV channels, but when I switch to a non-HDTV channel, the TV screen goes blue and says, "Not Supported Mode."

So, in addition to the componant video, I have now added a second connection - just the basic coax connecting the cable box to the post on the back of the DLP. This solves the problem, but it's annoying because I have to switch AV modes on the TV every time I switch back and forth from HDTV channels to regular channels.

Why can't I watch both HDTV and regular TV through the same video connection? I used to be able to do this on my 32" Sony HDTV (4:3).

2. John S

John S Producer

You can, what you need to do in the cable box, is select 480p for all SD stuff. Pretty simple to do, but I can't remember the exact steps to get you there.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

With the Motorola box off, press the MENU button on the front of the box. A menu will come up that lets you change SD output to 480P.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Yes, turn the box off, choose menu from the button on the front of the box (not the remote) and set the "4:3 Override" selection to 480p or 480i. Otherwise, the 4:3 programming defaults to an unsupported mode. In addition, this allows you to stretch/zoom your 4:3 content using the viewing modes on the TV, not the box.

5. David-C

David-C Auditioning

Thanks everybody. I will try this tonight!

D