What's new

Question about connecting another amp to the "Multiroom" out on my h/k AVR-525 (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I’m trying to figure out a way to connect my new Headroom Desktop headphone amp via RCA’s to my old h/k AVR-525. Currently, I’ve got a Denon Universal player connected via the 6 channel inputs, a Pany DVD-R and a Sony VCR all connected to my 525. I’m considering using the “Multiroom” output and connecting it to the Headroom amp. That way I’d be able to listen to SACD’s, DVD’s, VHS and TV programs at night with my new amp & headphones. All I’d have to do is change the “Multiroom” input with my primary remote. Right? No messing with any remote volume changes as I’m using a “Line Out” connection. Any reason why this wouldn’t work?

MikeNg

Second Unit
Yup - so long as you are using a fixed line level output. I think there is a setting for multiroom that let's you specify whether the output is variable or fixed.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Thanks for the response Mike.

Yeah, I thought it would work, but I wanted to get some feedback before I started pulling equipment out of my rack.

Hmm...I'll have to check the manual again. Don't remember reading anything about being able to change the multiroom output from fixed to variable.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
***UPDATE***

Ok…was able to connect my Headroom Desktop amp to the analog Multiroom out. However, my 525 will not convert the optic (Toslink) signal from the Denon. So, I had to install a set of patch cords from the analog out of the DVD-2900 to “DVD” analog in on the 525. Also, there is not “6 channel” option for the Multiroom inputs. So, my SACD and DVD-A’s will have to be listened through the analog connections. Also, the output volume is variable not fixed. It’s directly linked to the Multroom volume setting. It ranges from -35 to +10. I just set it 0. It appears the setting will hold even after powering down the 525. The one bad thing about this is I can’t put the 525 in Standby mode with Multiroom enabled. So I’ll have to enable Multiroom every time I power up. Well, at least this is easily changed from the primary remote.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Yup - those hangups you found are pretty typical with older receivers. I'm surprised that the 525 does not have a main zone/ zone 1 off...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

John,

You can solve most of these problems by simply using the record out jacks of any input that has them. They are active all the time, passing the signal from any input that's being used. There’s really no reason to use the muti-room for this, unless you happen to be out of record out jacks.

I’ve never heard of any receiver that will convert and send digital audio from a CD or DVD player to any analog out jacks, except the main ones.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Hmm...had no idea those connections would output other sources. I do have a "Tape Out", "Video 1" & "Video 2" available.

Thanks for the tip Wayne, I'll try that this weekend.

MikeNg

Second Unit
The only caveat is that you are now tied to whatever is playing in the main source. So, if source independence is not an issue, that should work fine.

The only AVR I know of that is supposed to do a DAC for multiroom is the HK AVR745. Next season's Denons will do it also.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Worked like a charm and "source independence" is a non-issue.

HTF comes through once again. Thanks again for the feedback Wayne and Mike!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks