What's new

question about a comment made by Toshiba in their new 32HFX71 manual (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Ok, according to Toshiba the new 32HFX71 will do compression for 480p/480i sources through the component inputs. In the manual, they list 3 different modes: normal, letterbox, and compression. When using compression mode, they say that there is a greater chance of engraining stationary images on the picture tube since there is no raster in the black bars on the top and bottom. I don't quite see how that increases the chances of burn in on the part of the screen that actually is part of the raster. I can see how over time, you'll get an uneven phopshor use with the 16x9 area being worn more than the top and bottom, but I don't see how this will lead to a better chance of burn in of a stationary image anymore than just a regular stationary object on a 4x3 screen (normal picture mode). Can anyone clue me in?
btw, there doesn't seem to be any mention of an automatic compression being done.
thanks,
--tom

Paul W

Second Unit
I'm assuming that 'compression' is the same thing as '16x9 squeeze'.
In this case, the electron beam is not hitting the top and bottom portions of the tube at all (only the 16x9 area in the middle).
This is why you have a chance of burning in the middle portion. The upper and lower parts do not get any phosphor wear at all.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Paul, right, but I think that is really uneven phosphor wear and not burn in...i.e. the phosphors, over time, in the middle of the screen will be dimmer from wear whereas the top and bottom will be like new assuming all you did is watch 16x9 movies :) But the Toshiba manual states that leaving a stationary image on the screen will lead to burn in more readily in the compressed mode than any other mode and that is what confuses me since I don't think that is true, at least the way I understand things at the moment.
cheers,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks