What's new

Queens of the Stone Age -- Lullabies to Paralyze (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
With the new Queens of the Stone Age coming out next month, I wanted to post a quick review to wet some appetites and remind people how cool this band is. I've been listening to QOTSA since "R", their second album.

The new album is pretty good, it reminds me a lot of "R", in that some of the songs are a little quirky. I feel the self titled album has a more straight up rock feel to it -- their latest album Songs for the Deaf was great not only because it rocked, but because it wasn't stagnant or dull with three guys on vocals.

Lullabies to Paralyze is a half and half kind of album. I like the first half quite a bit, but the second half drifts off and gets kind of boring. QOTSA is really missing Nick Oliveri, the bassist from the last two records. Also missing is the mix of sounds that Songs for the Deaf had -- you're back to just Josh Homme on vocals (like the self titled), and at times he tries to hard with the high parts of songs.

A quick rundown of my favorite songs:
* Medication -- Good kickoff song after the Mark Lanegan intro This Lullaby.
* Tangled Up in Plaid -- Makes me want to go for a drive in the summer. (I like good old fashioned rock in the summer. Between QOTSA, I listen to a lot of the Supersuckers during that time of the year, makes you feel good.)
* Burn the Witch -- Man, this song could be really really awesome, instead of just really really good. Why did Josh have to go off on the weird instrumental tangent during the middle of the song. Great bass at the start. Still a cool song.
* Little Sister -- Carryover song from Songs for the Deaf, good song that can never have too much cowbell.

A rundown of the songs I don't like:
* I Never Came -- Maybe someday I'll like this song, but for now it's just high pitched suck-dom.
* Someone's in the Wolf -- What a cool title for a song... that just doesn't sound as cool as it's title.
* Pretty much every song from 10-14 could use some help.

The funny thing about QOTSA is that it's always been Josh's band. They've had a rotating cast of guys for every album. I'm just disappointed that Nick (the only guys that's been there playing for 3 of the albums -- I don't count Lanegan who had one song on "R" and one song on the new one) isn't still around. I think he added personality to the band -- And songs like Millionaire from the last album are sadly missing from this one.

I'll be seeing them live for #7 in April, it will be interesting to see them with a new bassist live.

Doug

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Is Dave Grohl involved in the is project? I loved Songs for the Deaf. I'll definitely give this a try seeing as its probably better than 90% of whats out now.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Nope, Grohl isn't on drums. (Another change for another album.) The guy who is drumming for them on this set, Joey, is pretty good. I wish the drums were spotlighted a bit more on the new album, they're kind of muted. Seeing them live, I'll vouch for the guy as being a good drummer. However, I also saw them live a few times with Grohl... and he's not THAT good. Grohl is a drumming animal.

Doug

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
The album is a mixed bag for me. The title is very fitting, there is less "death metal" in this ablum then any previous Queens record. I don't know if that's a good thing yet. I have to listen to it a few more times.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Thanks for the impressions. I've become a fan of this band since Songs & I went and picked up their previous 2 albums also.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I really didn't like the new album the first time I listened to it, but it's growing on me. It's much more mixed than Songs for the Deaf, and not nearly as good, but it's still pretty enjoyable. I agree with Doug, except for the fact that I really like Broken Box and The Long Slow Goodbye (tracks 12 and 14 respectively).

I like the album quite a bit, but there are several skippers. However, I Never Came isn't one of them for me. It's my favorite track. The CD could use more hard songs though, and I'll agree on tracks 10-14. They just don't quite come together.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I like I Never Came as well. My big disappointment is the track with Shirley Manson and Brody Dalle. Pretty damn boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks