What's new

Quantum Cable SuperNova ICs Review (1 Viewer)

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
I'm so stinkin' happy I, for the first time, decided to write and share a review with you all:
First the specifications, taken directly from www.quantumcable.com:
22 AWG stranded Oxygen Free Copper Stranded shielding
High quality locking barrel connectors
4% Silver Solder
Directional Logo'd heat shrink
Special conductor separation from ground
FEP Teflon coating over each conductor
Grey Tech Flex outer cover
Pro-gold termination treatment
Directional electron flow, created by the pre-burn process using the patented AudioDharma Cable Cooker®, to "set" electron flow for each custom pair built.
Starting price is $89.99 for one 0.5 Meter pair.
My Review is as follows:
I contacted Doug; owner, designer, and builder of each and every cable, and shared my needs. I was looking for seven interconnects to run between my Rotel RSP-1066 and AMC 2N100-5 and AMC 2100. He had just developed this new cable, SuperNova, that he claims has comes close to rivaling the detail and transparency of his SilverCats (Link Removed) of which I am a proud owner of two pair for my stereo only system. Loving my SilverCats, I didn’t hesitate to try his SuperNova’s.
First Impressions: Wow. Let’s just say I didn’t want to hide my cables, much like my SilverCats, the fit and finish of these babies scream quality craftsmanship and extreme detail. I’ve shown a few friends and they too thought they were pretty, one even took one over to his wife (I let him) asking if he could buy some! I was most struck by the quality locking barrel connectors. It’s so nice to not have to hank off interconnects in fear of damaging my equipment.
Listening Tests: I compared my SuperNova’s with my SilverCats and previous reference Monster Reference Two interconnects. I connected all three between my Musical Fidelity A3cr Amp and Preamp, of which run my Martin Logan SL3’s. I used my Cambridge Audio D500-Special Edition 24bit-CD Player and a variety of musical arrangements. The interconnects between my CD player and preamp remained SilverCats. First I listened to the SilverCats because they were connected to begin with and I know that sound very well. The Martin Logans are VERY revealing speakers and mated with the Musical Fidelity gear, flaws are very much heard (which means I can’t listen to too many 1980’s CD’s anymore!). Then I connected my previous reference Monster Cables followed by my new SuperNova’s and here is what I heard.
SilverCats: Detailed high end, transparency is amazingly deep and with a precise soundstage. Midrange if rich, excels in vocal presentation and “realness.” Bottom end is tight, fast, with a quick response.
Monster Reference Two: High end “missing” dynamics (best word to describe it is like a veil lay over the speakers). Midrange “heavy” with limited soundstage and depth. Bottom end not as tight and fast as SilverCats and did not have as quick a response time.
SuperNovas: Almost has detailed a high end as the SilverCats but just missing by a hair, similar transparency and soundstage. As my wife put it “It’s like there right there in front of you singing/playing.” Bottom end had excellence slam and a fast response time.
I spent A TONE OF TIME switching cables back and forth, had my wife listen (she’s the harpist with a very critical ear) and it was very hard to tell differences between the SilverCats and SuperNovas. It wasn’t until we played some of my wife’s harp scores that I heard the very subtle high-end difference between the two. The Monster, could not hold it’s own in resolution of detail and really sounded muddied compared the SuperNovas. Perhaps it’s the Silver in the cats that make the difference in the high-end frequencies, but I’m no expert so I don’t know. I do know this though, those SuperNova’s are now proudly connected in my newly finished Home Theater and boy are they singin’. They do not help run my Martin Logan but they sound so very neutral and detailed running my Energy and Axiom speakers! I love transparent and detailed sound for stereo listening and enjoy natural, very neutral (some would say “warm”) sound in home theater. The great thing is the SuperNova’s, mated with the right equipment (to my amazement) were able to provide both!
Customer Service: Much like the fit and finish of these cables, the VERY personal service Doug provides is nothing short of outstanding. You want a custom length, heck a custom cable that no one else makes; well he’ll make it for you! He responded to my e-mail promptly and even called me at work once to verify what color shrink I wanted on my cables!
Feel free to e-mail me any questions you have regarding SuperNova’s and I’ll try to share what I can. Or just contact Doug; he’ll hook you up just like he did for me!
Erik

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Erik,

I own a slew of cables from Doug and couldnt be happier. I have put my silvercats against a pair of $500 Mit interconnects and couldnt tell a diff, i put the silvercats against a pair of kimber pbjs and could hear a diff, so more $$$ doesnt always equal better sound.

I have video cables, speaker cables, digital interconnects, sub interconnects, and analog interconnects from Doug and he has always done an excellent job.

Congrats on you're new purchase, and enjoy.

Lol, isnt this hobby great?

Josh

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Cool Josh...I still have to upgrade my digital and video cables through Doug!
Hobby, yea...I'd say it's great...just follow my link below and you'll see how "hooked" I am! :D
E

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
i'd imagine they're directional because they're shielded at one end, no?

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Chu, I'd e-mail Doug and ask him directly...I'd hate to be wrong! Just go to his website, shown above, and you can e-mail him from there.

E

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Chu, here's an update...

The SuperNovas are directional because they are cooked on an Audio Dharma cable cooker prior to shipping as are all Quantum Cables.

Hope that helps...you can check the site...there's more info there as well!

E

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks