What's new

Purple Rain 20 th anniversary disc, new details are revealed (1 Viewer)

StacyV

Second Unit
Concerning the Purple Rain disc, still unsure which music videos will be included, but there will be 3 featurettes "that examine Prince's lasting legacy", the MTV Premiere Party and commentary from "artists and director", so says a trade ad from Warner Home Video Direct.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Classic seminal 80's rock film! I remember this very fondly from when I graduated high school and just started into college. Lots of great music throughout, not just from Prince but also from Morris Day and the Time. In my book they stole the whole show with their funky brand of humor.

Morris Day: "Why don't you stick around a while, see how it's done?"
Band member (laughing): "Her ass!"
Jerome Benton (to The Kid): "So sexy."

Cracks me up every time! :D

This is probably going to sound blasphemous, but in the controversy of "Darling Nikki", I wound up taping over the song on my cassette with blank space in it. To this day I still have the "edited" tape in my collection - it's not hard to spot which music in my collection is all 80's: they're all on tape! :D

I was one of the fortunate few to go see "Under the Cherry Moon" when it came out, and I actually enjoyed the movie. Prince and Jerome Benton played off each other wonderfully like a modern-day Abbott & Costello or Odd Couple, it was really hilarious.

Definitely looking to add these two DVDs to my collection. :emoji_thumbsup:

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, Prince performed Purple Rain at the AA ceremony that year and it was a pretty damn good performance. Would be nice if that was included.

StacyV

Second Unit

Alcoholics Anonymous?

American Music Awards? That was a great performance. I'm hoping Warner will someday release a comprehensive music video and television perforamances collection.

A missed opportunity for the UTCM disc: a nice bonus would have been footage of the movie premiere. The movie was the subject of an MTV contest where the winner got to have Under The Cherry Moon premiere in their town. "Lisa" from Cheyenne, Wyoming won.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Sex Shooter!!!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Can't Wait!!!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I had it in my head that he performed at the Academy Awards.

I had that MTV Cherry Moon stuff on VHS but I'm sure it's long gone by now.

A Sign 'O' the Times DVD is what I'd really like to have.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
One of the best guitar solos I have ever heard was from Prince...

(click here for details)

Now I would love to have that available on DVD!

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping that they would also include the "Prince and the Revolution Live" concert video that came out in 1985. It was taped on the "Purple Rain" tour , and featured many of the songs from the film/LP . The lighting was pretty bad, so the tape was very murky, but it would be kicking to have it on DVD .

Glad to see that "PR" will include a bunch of videos, but WB should compile a complete Prince video collection
( would love to see that 15+ minute version of "America" again).

And will we EVER see a domestic release of "Sign O the Times" ????

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I had that same "Prince and the Revolution Live" tape from '85 as well. The live concert versions of all his "Purple Rain" stuff sounded really great, and the only thing that still stands out to this day was Prince wearing some serious leather pants, saying to the audience, "Have you ever seen an ass this tight?", then turning around and flaunting it to the audience. Have mercy... :b

Definitely needs to be on DVD as well, along with a Prince music video compilation.

And if you think that 15-minute version of "America" was something, then you should check out the 18-minute EP remix of "Scandalous" (from his "Batman" soundtrack CD) he and Kim Basinger recorded together - OUCH!!! :b

StacyV

Second Unit

Actually, they weren't leather pants but the back of the pants from the waist to the back of the knees were sort of lacy. It was a prelude to the assless pants he wore at the MTV Video Awards in '91. He was asking women in the audience if their man had an ass like his. :laugh: This concert, the Sign O The Times concert film and a comprehensive music video collection all on dvd would be perfect companions to the three films being released August 24.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I would love to pick up a remastered collection of Prince videos including Sexy MF.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I remember the video for When Doves Cry but weren't the others just the concert clips from the film with some other film footage spliced in?

I would also love the '85 concert. I used to have it on Betamax, but it's long gone.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Now I'm hoping that the video of "Baby I'm a Star/I Would Die for You" was the live performance that was shown on the old Friday Night Videos show on NBC. This clip featured a lot of funk style jamming by the band (inclusing a percussion solo by Sheila E), and ended with Prince "ejaculating" some sort of liquid from an attachment on his guitar into the audience ! I recall that this clip lasted easily over 10 minutes

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Oscar, that is bad news, but I'll still pick it
up for the OAR and other stuff included. It's nice that
WB put alot of music videos into this set. :D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I wouldn't expect Prince to be involved. As a huge fan, I'm pretty used to Prince's elusive personality. I'm happy to learn that the disc, technically, was given decent marks. I'm still looking forward to this release.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention Mr. Nelson's long running feud with Warner which most likely didn't give him much of an incentive to be involved or offer a commentary track.

Still, I suspect he is happy about the release. It will also likely create more interest in his tour - although I read his summer tour has been a huge success and has gotten spectacular reviews from music critics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks