What's new

PS2's "Frequency" -- wow!!! (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
So here I am, zonked out on four hours of sleep, thanks to a remarkable little game called Frequency. Conceptually, it brings nothing to the table that other 'Dance' games haven't already, but it's unique interface and let's face it -- AWESOME soundtrack, all merge to create a totally unique experience. I haven't been so immersed in a gaming experience so instinctic since Tetris.
Link Removed is IGN's rather glowing review.
The game manages to take 25 songs (I have only accessed 13 of them so far)-- all ranging from Industrial to Synth Pop to Trance, Techno, House, or plain 'ole Alternative rock -- and puts you 'inside' the inner workings of each song. Each time, you'll hear a different slant on the song, depending on the portions of the 'tube' you choose to tackle.
I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has played this game. I am a sucker for Trance and Techno, especially many of the artists features on Frequency, which perhaps gives me a bias.
Cheers,
Joseph

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I want this game SO much that its at the top of my Christmas list...seriously.

I hope to god I get this game (are you reading this dad? I hope so...)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Had the chance to play Frequency last night...what a gem of a game, once i got into it i was well and truly hooked!
I agree that the music is fantastic and it's got some pretty sweet graphics too...gotta try the 2 player mode :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
A word of advice: don't play Frequency in the hours before bedtime... my mind always gets stuck in an endless feedback loop where I am hitting 'left, right, center' in various combinations.

Anyone pass 'easy' and 'normal' yet? It's very gratifying to unlock the bonus songs, because they're arguably the best in the bunch.

Once you've tackled the hardest difficulty there's no going back.

Joseph

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This game is ADDICTIVE. Played it a day or two after christmas for like 5 hours, only thought I had played for maybe 2. You really need to watch the clock when you play.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I've missed many a good night's sleep due to Frequency. Any addictive game is like that... you keep telling yourself, 'just one more time, one more song to unlock' and before you know it, hours have passed.
I actually had to ration out my Frequency time for fear I would stop studying or sleeping until I unlocked everything.
Have you ever played the two player version? It's actually quite well done. There is a fireball icon which sends a massive energy ball hurtling into the opponent's track, shaking the screen. There is also a freestyle icon which allows you to 'create' a scratch track. I thought the portrayal of the music would be confusing with two players, but it doesn't sound overlapped or confusing.
I desperately wish there was a way to create levels based on songs of your choice, or perhaps lesser-priced additions to the game that add the roster of songs. As much as I love MBM, Curve, etc, it would be a real trip to play a level based on broader genres. The sky's the limit with a game like this. :emoji_thumbsup:
Joseph

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They could start making editions of this game, like a Rock edition, Pop edition, etc. for many different styles of music. That would be cool.

Rumor has it that Sony will be releasing either an online enabled Frequency with the modem or an add-on for the online stuff.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I just don't get these "press the button in this order" games. Isn't the Simon craze over?

Maybe it's just because I suck at these games but I can't stay interested for more than 5 minutes. Too bad, because Frequency was the one I hoped would change my mind.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Camp,
Believe me, I totally understand what you're saying. I never personally saw the appeal in the 'Simon-esque,' 'dance dance' games.
Frequency is the game that changed my mind. Imagine Tempest married with Rez and you're skimming the surface.
I have never felt so in control of determining the pace and depth of a song... it really gets you 'inside' each song. It's the first game of this type that has appealed to me.
:)
Joseph

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Sorry Gentleman, I must in fact dump on all your praise by saying that if you haven't played 4-player Frequency, you have NOT played Frequency :P
You'd think the game couldn't possibly be that competitive, but you would be deadly wrong! When you get that devilish bumper and kick some poor dope off their huge combo, pure pleasure :D
Also, the unlockable songs definitely rule compared to the already great starting ones. I heartily recommend downloading Freezepop's 'Science Genius Girl' off mp3.com amazing tune.

paul h

Supporting Actor
4 player it is then!!! i have lost too many hours to this game over the past couple of days :) Real shame though as it's the kind of game that wont get a big marketing push behind it...

paul h

Supporting Actor
I've beaten Easy and Normal modes, expert is a real killer! In fact some of the level4 tracks on normal are real tough. It's a great feeling when you string together a huge combo..
There's a fan site for Frequency up with some tips on there and a forum:
http://www.freq.com/
Also you can mail the Frequency team direct to suggest features you'd like to see...i put forward the add-on discs idea and they replied saying Sony will decide based on the sales of Frequency. I know they are working on an on-line version which should be a real blast :)
[email protected]

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I agree about expert mode... i also got normal and easy out of the way (can't believe how happy I was when I unlocked the juno reactor song!)... level one, song one is actually the only real bruiser in the 'expert mode'.. the other songs aren't too bad.
Although the online version is a great idea, and the only natural step for this game, it's a shame that I won't be able to take advantage of it given the lack of proper in-home wiring for such things. :frowning:
-J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks