What's new

ps2 disk reading problems, someone help? (1 Viewer)

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
my ps2 has all of a sudden quit reading disks with a colored bottom. i have a few ps2 games that have a blue/purple bottom, and some dvd movies that have a gold bottom, and the ps2 will not read any of them. it will still however read the silver bottom ps2 dvd and cd games.
anyone know exactly what is wrong? i called the place i bought it from and they want me to mail it all the way to new york (from alabama) to have it fixed, and ill be without it for about 3 weeks. if anyone knows of something i can do to fix it please lemme know.

ChrisV

Second Unit
That's a relatively common problem. From what I heard you have to mail it in. Sorry. :frowning:

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Yup I had the same problem.... TWICE, youre screwed just go buy a new one. Thats what I did. And with the prices dropped its cheaper now. Sell the old one on ebay or at a rummage. Just my opinion. Or b4 you do that go buy a cd -rom cleaner.. that may work.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I too have experienced this problem; my PS2 won't play gold-bottomed DVDs anymore. I can still play PSX, PS2, and CD discs, but several of my movies no longer play. (Including The Rock Criterion, Clerks cartoon Disc 1, and CTHD.)

A shame.

I see
[rant]DISC READ ERROR[/rant]
more and more often.

-j

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Try cleaning out your PS2 with compressed air - blow some in there. Then run the disk diagnostic in system options. Works for me every time on a launch unit.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Also try running the self-diagnostic.

My PS2 sometimes won't read some games, but if I let it sit for a minute, it boots up. It ain't perfect, but I don't have to send it in.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Try cleaning out your PS2 with compressed air - blow some in there. Then run the disk diagnostic in system options. Works for me every time on a launch unit.
I've tried the compressed air method and no dice. However, the disc diagnostic is something I haven't tried. Thanks! :D
Joseph

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
My PS2 has been having this problem too. First it had trouble reading Virtua Fighter 4, now its having trouble with NBA Street (CD game). I found the diagnostic mode but didn't have a chance to play around with it much this morning. Do you just turn it on and insert the disc? Is a special screen supposed to come up? It seemed like it didn't do anything different.

Is the general consensus that it's better to buy a new PS2 rather than have it repaired?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
chad: if it comes down to it, get it repaired. scream and moan at sony and you might be able to get the repairs done cost-free. i've heard of people being able to get that done.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I found the diagnostic ...Do you just turn it on and insert the disc? Is a special screen supposed to come up? It seemed like it didn't do anything different.
I found this mode too, and it is not clear what you're supposed to do. You either turn diagnostic mode on or off, but inserting the offending disk yields the same result.
:confused:
Joseph

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think you're supposed to turn it on, insert the disc, and then the console finds out the problem. Though I think this works only with DVDs. I assume it should work with games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks