ps2 disk reading problems, someone help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Petty, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

my ps2 has all of a sudden quit reading disks with a colored bottom. i have a few ps2 games that have a blue/purple bottom, and some dvd movies that have a gold bottom, and the ps2 will not read any of them. it will still however read the silver bottom ps2 dvd and cd games.
    anyone know exactly what is wrong? i called the place i bought it from and they want me to mail it all the way to new york (from alabama) to have it fixed, and ill be without it for about 3 weeks. if anyone knows of something i can do to fix it please lemme know.

2. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

That's a relatively common problem. From what I heard you have to mail it in. Sorry. [​IMG]

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Yup I had the same problem.... TWICE, youre screwed just go buy a new one. Thats what I did. And with the prices dropped its cheaper now. Sell the old one on ebay or at a rummage. Just my opinion. Or b4 you do that go buy a cd -rom cleaner.. that may work.

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I too have experienced this problem; my PS2 won't play gold-bottomed DVDs anymore. I can still play PSX, PS2, and CD discs, but several of my movies no longer play. (Including The Rock Criterion, Clerks cartoon Disc 1, and CTHD.)

A shame.

I see
    [rant]DISC READ ERROR[/rant]
    more and more often.

-j

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Try cleaning out your PS2 with compressed air - blow some in there. Then run the disk diagnostic in system options. Works for me every time on a launch unit.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Also try running the self-diagnostic.

My PS2 sometimes won't read some games, but if I let it sit for a minute, it boots up. It ain't perfect, but I don't have to send it in.

7. Joseph Young

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

9. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

haha
    I dont sell junk I wiould tell them what was wrong with it.... geeze

10. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

My PS2 has been having this problem too. First it had trouble reading Virtua Fighter 4, now its having trouble with NBA Street (CD game). I found the diagnostic mode but didn't have a chance to play around with it much this morning. Do you just turn it on and insert the disc? Is a special screen supposed to come up? It seemed like it didn't do anything different.

Is the general consensus that it's better to buy a new PS2 rather than have it repaired?

11. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

chad: if it comes down to it, get it repaired. scream and moan at sony and you might be able to get the repairs done cost-free. i've heard of people being able to get that done.

12. Joseph Young

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think you're supposed to turn it on, insert the disc, and then the console finds out the problem. Though I think this works only with DVDs. I assume it should work with games.