What's new

PS or Brick Wall? (1 Viewer)

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to bend some ears and get some help in making my choice for surge protection/line conditioning. I have spend the past couple of days researching surge protectors/line conditioners for my sytem. I have a short list now of the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet(20A high current) or the Brick Wall PWRM20AUD. Both look like great products. My system has grown since I bought my HTS2500 (Monster Power) and I am concerned that my Parasound 2205AT and my Samson 1000 amps are not going to get the current the would like to have. When pushing the system hard the HTS2500 is pulling just over 11 amps. I did install a 20A dedicated circuit for my HT equipment, primarily to feed the amps, and need protection w/o limiting current or negatively affecting the sound quality. I plan to run both amps and possibly my receiver thru the new unit and keep the rest of my equipment plugged in to my HTS2500. Any comments, suggestions or recommendations on these products would be great.

TIA

Mike

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Mike,
I think you're on the right track, without getting diverted into the "power conditioning" and "balanced power" game, for which others possibily will respond. Talking $500tto $1200 there.
You might consider the Brickwall PW2RAUD 2-outlet high-current version for $199. The Parasound wud go into one outlet, the Monster 2500 into the other, with the Sampson still in the Monster.
Brickwall's representive discussed some of the features in THIS ONLINE THREAD

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Bill. I'd get the brickwall (actually you can get a zerosurge unit and save a couple bucks) and put the monster downstream from the brickwall. You'll get better protection and more plugs. I've done the same thing with a zerosurge and tripp-lite downstream from it. No complaints. The PS audio unit will also get you where you need to go but for bigger $$

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
Well... I decided to get both the 20A PS Ultimate Outlet and the rack mount (10 outlets) Brickwall 20A unit:D. I figure that I will use the PS for my Parasound 2205 and my Sony STR-DA777ES. The Brickwall unit will power my Samson 1000 and my HTS2500 (monster power with the rest of my equipment thru it). Any suggestions on the best way to hook up the units for my HT equipment? Should I run my source units thru the Monster unit or thru the Brickwall? I don't know if the HTS2500 will offer any improvement in power quality or if it is just a needless obstacle in the AC chain. I only keep the HTS2500 because of the cable CATV protection. Any thoughts on this subject are greatly appreciated.
Mike

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
Just a quick update on my experiences with the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet and the Brickwall PW2RAUD. I found that the UO proved to a better unit as far as sound quality goes. The sound was crisp and the soundstage was a bit more open. Don't get me wrong, the PW2RAUD is a wonderfull surge protector and the customer service at Brickwall is second to none! I will use the Brickwall unit for my two Velos in the rear of the room and the PS unit(s) for the rest. I ordered a second high current Ultimate outlet and a Juice Bar to power my source equipment and am using the 20A UO for my two amps. The difference the PS unit made over the Monster unit was very evident. After listening to my system with the PS UO for a week I hooked up the receiver and amp to the Monster unit and it seemed that the life was sucked out of the soundstage. Next up is a power cord upgrade(12ga) for my Samson 1000 which is currently an 18ga cord. This experience convinced me that quality power conditioning and power cables( at least the wire guage) does make a difference. IMHO

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks