What's new

Proposal re: "official" threads (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
[Moderator's note: This exchange has been excerpted from the Official Post-Oscar Discussion Thread and relocated here to the Feedback Forum.]
I'm really starting to hate these "official" threads about this and that. There are several interesting topics brought up in this thread that just get lost, and would have been much more suited for separate threads. Oh well.
I totally agree. There are some genuinely interesting and important issues that have been brought up earlier in this thread, but anyone new will face a hard job finding them. And even if they do, any replies will also get lost.
As it stands this is barely a discussion thread. Its more like a poll... 'what's your opinion of the oscars?' And its getting to the stage where each post closely resembles the last.
Perhaps a mod should do something about it..... Although alas, I'm being very optimistic assuming that this post wont get lost as well. :rolleyes

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There are some genuinely important issues that have been brought up earlier in this thread, but anyone new will face a hard job finding them.
They wouldn't be any easier to find if they were scattered among dozens of threads. At least this way they're in one place. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best available option.

M.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
They wouldn't be any easier to find if they were scattered among dozens of threads.
Obviously its too late now. But the way I see it, this thread could be split into 4 very distinct threads.

-General Post-Oscar Thoughts.

-The Stars and their Dresses.

-Who got robbed and Why?

-The themes and overall message.

That wouldn't have been confusing. Would it?

It would have allowed for a clearer flow of ideas, and the disucssion would have gone significantly further than where it stands now.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That wouldn't have been confusing. Would it?
You're assuming everyone would post in the right place, but it never works that way. For example, take the fact that you're posting this proposal in an Oscar thread instead of in the Feedback section (which is where any further discussion of how official threads are organized should be directed).

Now back to the topic at hand . . .

M.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
For example, take the fact that you're posting this proposal in an Oscar thread instead of in the Feedback section (which is where any further discussion of how official threads are organized should be directed).
It seemed an organic place to post the point, given the fact that I was replying directly to a previous post. Also, I'm aware that this issue has been discussed previously in the Forum Feedback section, and nothing came of it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Paul,

Granted. But the problem is, everyone may find another "organic" place for his/her post and we have to face the fact that this very often leads to a mess.

Cees

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I agree with the original poster. Official threads are a PITA and a joke.
I thought the whole reason we went to official threads was because of server space and speed issues. Well that shouldn't be much of a problem anymore since we got the new server.
IMO if somebody starts a topic and it is not worthy of it's own discussion it will just die a natural death.
Kevin C. :)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

The main reason we have official threads is to cut down (down to one) the number of threads discussing the same subject. How fun would it be to look in half a dozen threads about the same thing?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Star Wars? Patrick, you have left me hanging! Which way are you going with this, pro or con? I expressed myself last week about it. There could/should be an entire section just for that one genre. Supposedly we have the speed and the space now.

Glenn

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Star Wars? Patrick, you have left me hanging! Which way are you going with this, pro or con?
Glenn,

I am not Patrick but what I believe he was trying to point out was an example. I also believe so many Star Wars threads, was a reason Official threads were started. It makes no sense to have to go to half a dozen threads (in the case of Star Wars a heck of a lot more) when all comments can be focused in one.

If you have been away from the forum for a couple of days and you come back and see there are 80 posts to a thread you are interested in it can be a bit overwhelming to play catch-up. But as Michael already said "It's not a perfect system, but it's the best available option."

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Frank, you are correct. That is why 'official' threads are now the only ones allowed, but if I remember correctly, that thread had about 250 replies in the first day. Any question would be long-gone in minutes! (Ok, hours, but you get the idea).

When the DVD for TPM came out I had a question, but it was quickly buried. I'm not pissed that I did not get a reply, but I know that I am not alone. Searching through dozens of threads every couple of hours to find an answer won't be much fun, because while you are doing that, you're also trying to keep tract of the many other topics that come up.

When the Star Wars thread is closed in May and a new one opens up there will be many topics of discussion. I hope it works.

Glenn

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
In my mind, it boils down to one of two choices:
Would you rather pick among 8 or 9 different LOTR threads to get the news/conversation you're looking for?
...or...
Would you rather scan through one large thread, one-third of which you've probably already participated in?
I think that the Offical Threads serve a great purpose, particularly where the weekly theatrical releases are concerned. Someone looking for a dozen varying opinions on Resident Evil knows where to look - while the debates, discussions, questions and arguments are located in another distinct spot.
I frequent a handful of popular movie websites, and believe me when I say: you want it this way. Though some of these other sites are lots of fun, none are run nearly as well as the HTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks