What's new

Pronto Remotes - Worth It? (1 Viewer)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I am getting a Denon 3801 probably next week (being shipped). Everyone says the Denon remotes suck. Assuming I agree with the general consensus, is a Pronto Remote really worth the money or should I just get a decent $50 universal remote?

Also, what are the cheaper models of prontos?

I would post this to the remote group but there isn't much traffic there. Thanks in advance.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Hi Eric,

IMHO, whether or not a Pronto remote is worth it depends on whether you like touchscreen remotes and the degree to which you would like to customize the remote via basic programming.

Try searching this forum and I'd imagine you'll find lots of posts regarding the various advantages and disadvantages of the Pronto, as there are strong contingents who like and dislike it.

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
Eric - I've been asking myself that same question. Remotecentral.com is a wealth of info (almost too much). From my distillation, I believe I've come to the conclusion that the prontos are worth it if you spend the, and this is concensus, ton of time to program them to their fullest. That being said, if you don't want to invest the programming time, then get your decent $50 universal remote. On your second point, the lowest model is the 1000 ($220) which doesn't retail for much less, but goes for about $70 less on ebay than the 2000 ($270). The 2000 seems most popular, and I 'd need to be heavily convinced to spring for the 6000 ($700) - Scott

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I sure like my Pronto. The reason I like it is that since I route all audio through my receiver, it allows my kids, babysitter, and wife play DVDs and watch TV, etc without having to master three or four different remote controls.

To play a DVD, you just press the icon that says DVD and the pronto automatically turns on the TV, switches to the proper video input, turns on the DVD player, turns on the receiver, and changes the receiver input to the DVD audio output.

There are probably other devices out there that serve the same purpose, but the Pronto's user interface and programmability really appealed to me.

--Steve

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I have done some research on it over the past couple hours. I am very computer literate and wouldn't mind the ramp up time in tweaking with the software to set it up. I also really like the idea of having one up front gui with some macros that will do everything with only a SINGLE touch (e.g. I want to play a DVD, one touch turns on the TV, DVD player, receiver, and plays the DVD in the player if there is one.) Unforunately, my wife made me promise I wouldn't buy one of these until I have X amount of money in my bank account. :frowning: However, I crafted an exception to the promise that involves me finding one for under $150. :) I just spotted one (TSU1000) that is 2 months used on Ebay for $159. Didn't quite make it, but that was my first look on Ebay. I'll keep trying.

I know this is a double post but I saw your post in 'Remotes' first.
--
I've gotta vote for the Pronto.
I have tried numerous remotes including the SONY RM-AV2100 and the Pronto wins hands down in every area from storage, compatibilty, ease of use. There is a large support group for this remote.
If you get one you have to spend some time planning how you want it to look, and operate. If you have used a Palm Pilot then half of your learning curve is already over.
Check here. They have the older Pronto in stock and if you call the sales department you can get a price break. I used them in October and got my Pronto for $130.00.
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage....2853&showcase=t

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You will love the pronto's versitility...its really only limited my your imagination. I agree about checking into JandR for a refurb model. I could not imagine using my HT without my pronto now..its as critical as any of the other peices of gear. IMO its not a remote its a system integrator

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
EricHass,
I've tried touchpad remotes before when had the Sony AV2100. The Pronto was just too far out of my price point. It was a nice remote though I kept getting the feeling that I needed some hard buttons. So off the remote went to help pay for my new AMP. I recently picked up a Marantz AV560U pre/pro of ebay as part of my move to seperates and it came with the Marantz RC2000mkII remote. This thing is amazing. It took all of 30min to setup my Tv/DvD/Vcr and macro's. Now with one press of a button, everything turns on and awaits the insertion of the disk. Push another and everything turns off. Its idiot(wife) proof. Checkout the link to info on the remote.
Kevin
http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/apr9...ews/rc2000.htm

ozric_smith

Agent
I bought a few refurb tsu2000's and sold the extras on ebay.
I always wanted a pronto and was going to settle on a tsu1000 or 500. I am glad that I held out and got the 2000.
That said. The pronto is in a class by itself. It works well right out of the box and you can have most of your suff running without doing any learning. But, if you get a pronto you need to use the ProntoEdit computer progi to get the most out of it. Then you will understand that the pronto can do anything with IR. The only limit is time. It takes a long time to get it the way you want it. Don't be suprised if you change your whole out look on what a remote is for and how to use it several times a day. :)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies guys! I am *definitely* interested in owning one of these puppies. Does anyone know what the main differences between the 1000 and 2000 model are, besides 1 mb vs. 2 mb memory? And how much difference does the extra memory make?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Eric the extra memory that the 2000 model has isn't quite all available to the user since it has to store the built in database of IR codes. Since you are familar with PC's and will likely use pronto edit anyway IMO the built in database isn't that useful (its too slow vs cutting and pasting in codes from Remotecentral) Also for almost everyone the 1 meg version offers more then enough storage space...I've yet to have a client run out of room on any CCF I've designed.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Be VERY sure you will be happy with a touchscreen remote. I had the Sony 2100 for a year or so and switched to a hard-button remote (Sony VL900) which I like about 10 times better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks