What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Prometheus 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Originally Posted by Vincent_P /t/324314/prometheus-3d-blu-ray-review/30#post_3986493
To all the folks quoting lines from ALIENS as proof that PROMETHEUS isn't good or something, I ask- how many lines are frequently quoted from the original ALIEN ?
Vincent

"Riiight"

;)

I should add that Aliens is my all-time favorite movie and I can quote it word for word, and everything from "Game over man" to "you don't see them ^&%*ing each other over for a Goddam percentage" gets whipped out from time to time. And I loved Prometheus!

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Sky Captain said:
John Kenneth Muir would like to disagree with all of you about this movie:]
Who's that? Why should we care?
PS - I know the review is pro-PROMETHEUS, but I'm not familiar with him.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Originally Posted by bgart13 /t/324314/prometheus-3d-blu-ray-review/30#post_3986528
Who's that? Why should we care?
PS - I know the review is pro-PROMETHEUS, but I'm not familiar with him.
I found it fascinating reading.

I wasn't aware of him before today, but the links contain both commentary/review of Prometheus as well as bio details, including:

[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]John Kenneth Muir is the award-winning author of 22 books on film & television. He began his writing career in the summer of 1996, and since then has seen books published by Applause Theatre & Cinema Books, McFarland, and Powys Media [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]John has also written freelance for periodicals including [/COLOR]Cinescape, Filmfax, Rerun, Collectors News[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)], & [/COLOR]The Official Farscape Magazine[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)].[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]and[/COLOR]

One of the horror genre's "most widely read critics" (Rue Morgue # 68), an "accomplished film journalist" (Comic Buyer's Guide #1535), and the award-winning author of Horror Films of the 1980s (2007), The Rock & Roll Film Encyclopedia (2007) and Horror Films of the 1970s (2002), John Kenneth Muir, presents his blog on film, television and nostalgia, named "one of the Top 100 Film Studies Blogs" on the Net.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Mine is waiting for me to get home off business travel.
For those who are just experiencing Prometheus, may I recommend:
http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html
And
http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584373.html

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Neil Middlemiss said:
I should add that Aliens is my all-time favorite movie and I can quote it word for word, and everything from "Game over man" to "you don't see them ^&%*ing each other over for a Goddam percentage" gets whipped out from time to time.
I occasionally find myself saying "We're in some really pretty shit now, man!" And when I want to make a really obscure Aliens reference, I say "Drake, we are leaving!"

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll have to go back and listen to the Spaihts/Lindelof commentary.

I would hope they can answer the major logic questions that came to mind while watching the film and afterward.

SPOILERS BELOW:

Such as "Why did the Engineers leave a map to the stars to prehistoric cave-painting man but make that a map to their weapons complex?" "Why couldn't the two team members find their way out of the pyramid when they were being tracked on specific grid references and were being monitored by the most state of the art ship around?" "Why would the team just open the door to let in an obviously contaminated and corrupted member from out on the surface?" "Why would Vickers keep the presence of Weyland a secret from everyone on the ship when he was actually the reason the mission was happening in the first place? Why not just tell the appropriate people onboard (like the Captain and even Shaw) that he's on the ship and is expecting a good result from the mission?" "Why would Shaw agree to crawl under another pyramid to get on another Engineer ship loaded with the same canisters of evil goo that will react to her very presence? And how does she expect to survive without any food?" "Why would the crew of the Prometheus agree to sacrifice themselves without any hesitation on a moment's notice just on Shaw's say-so?" And there are others that mount up - "Why cast Guy Pearce and then practically embalm him in a huge prosthetic makeup job?"

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
They answer most of those questions in great detail.
The Guy Pearce question has long been answered, though. Weyland used to have "young man" scenes and "old man scenes," so they needed a young actor. After casing Guy Pearce, they ended up cutting all the "young man" scenes and were left with just Guy Pearce in makeup.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd be curious if there are plausible answers to those questions, so I'll listen to that commentary this weekend.

The thing with the casting of Guy Pearce is that they could have accomplished the same thing by casting two different actors, as was done in The Green Mile - albeit with two more similar looking actors. By casting Pearce, Ridley Scott set himself up for a situation where the performance and everything else is completely overshadowed by the makeup. There are movies where casting a younger actor in makeup makes sense. But this is unfortunately not one of them.

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator
As a reviewer, I had the task of seeing the movie in all 3D formats and I must say, the differences speaks volumes.
First view, was a Real D theater. I have never seen anything as bad as this. I litteraly thought the events in the storm were filmed vertical and not horisontal. It was a pure 1/6 view! This could as well be contibuted to a weak bulb and a poorly adjustment.
Next view, was an XPand theater, which was much better. I always get a seat quite close to the screen, to get immersed. And this was some of the best 3D I've seen. 5/6
Then I had the option of seeing the movie in a high-end Dolby 3D theater. High-end because the owner and the operator are enthusiasts and they spare no expense, and they went to the extreme that day and delivered a new bulb.
It was by miles, the best 3D I've ever witnessed. Avatar didn't come close. I was immersed in depth the movie through and I actually had difficulties determining light loss when moving the glasses up and down. It was not noticeable. What grand use of 3D even in the closed confines of rooms and in the caves. 6/6
The MasterImage delivered poorly, but better than the Real D, but the 3D was dim and dull. 2-3/6
Then I've watched the movie again. In my own theater, in a pitch black room. Black walls, black carpet and ceiling and a JVC X9 (RS60). I had hoped for same as Dolby 3D, but the XPand glasses dims too much. This IS a dark movie and it needs all the light it can get. IF it gets that, you will notice! I will give the 3D experience 4/6. It was good, but not grand.
You simply can't put your trust in a single 3D rating. The movie will look as good as your equipment and your surroundings permits you.
A colleague of mine, has seen the movie on his flatscreen. He gets close up to 1-1½ meter and it is as good 3D, as it was with our Dolby 3D experience.
The 3D picture on this disc is pitch perfect.
It is up to your equipment and surroundings, to deliver it!

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to like this movie. I wanted to love this movie. But it did one thing to the Alien Franchise that I will never forgive. It took the alien out of ALIEN.
I'm serious. The Space Jockeys being humans that are now called engineers? Stupid. I've watched the original ALIEN since I was in my single digits and to see that dead alien thing on that chair always had me wondering. What is that? Where did it come from? Is it literally a part of the ship? What happened to it? How does a creature like this work when it can't even leave the chair? Does it's place of origin still exist? I mean, look at the inside of the ship. It's so... ALIEN.
But no. They're not only humans, but they're also our creators. And that creature in the chair is just a suit with some bald hairless dead guy inside of it. And having them be humans who used black goo to create life on Earth and the aliens now means that the aliens from the original movies aren't aliens anymore. They're us to. They took a great piece from one of my all time favorite movies and turned it into a "It's a small world after all" moment.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm about halfway through the Spaihts/Lindelof commentary. It's interesting, but it actually doesn't answer the issues on a logic level. It answers many things on what the guys were each thinking about when they wrote the scenes in question.

The issue of casting Guy Pearce is not just that they had one scene of young Weyland and wanted to use Pearce for that scene. They could have accomplished the same goals by using two similar actors, one being 80 and the other being 40. They just wanted Guy Pearce and the result was a prosthetic makeup job, unfortunately. The issue of the guys getting lost in the complex still doesn't make sense, nor does the guy suddenly saying "Hi little fella!" even if the writers thought that it made sense. The idea that the star map invitation leads to the weapons complex still doesn't make sense, even if the writers think that it's actually a matter of a civil war having occurred.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Ted Van Duyn said:
They took a great piece from one of my all time favorite movies and turned it into a "It's a small world after all" moment.
This is the navel-gazing myopia that's almost never avoided with a prequel. I found it unforgivable, as well. The idea of the Alien skeleton being a (biologically manufactured?) spacesuit and helmet is one of the most terrible pieces of retroactive continuity I've ever witnessed.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was listening to the Ridley Scott commentary track last night and I have to say...well...it seemed he was a little out there. I was curious to hear him comment on scenes I did not like and what he had to say about those scenes for the most part is he inserted them because he thought they were amusing. For example, Fifield and Millburn were meant to be "comic relief" along the lines of "Brett and Parker" according to Mr. Scott. While I saw that connection between the two films...and really felt like Prometheus was sort of a remake of Alien...the Brett and Parker characters made sense as working stiffs looking to make more money but Fifield being money obsessed and Millburn being basically a moron...and they were supposed to be scientists seemed...well...dumb.
It is a great looking film but other than David the rest of the characters seemed very cardboard.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
MattH. said:
[COLOR=000000]The 3D disc contains no extras, not even a trailer. However, a 3D version of the trailer is offered on disc three.
There are three 3D trailers on this disc (top right corner). They are full scenes from Titanic, I, Robot, and Avatar. The Titanic one is the opening scene from elder Kate Winslet through to when she gets out of the car on the docks. I, Robot is the scene where the large trailers of robots move into the city and tell people to respect the curfew, and then attack the police station. The Avatar scene is the one after he's "tamed" the flying beast.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by AlexF /t/324314/prometheus-3d-blu-ray-review/30#post_3987423
There are three 3D trailers on this disc (top right corner). They are full scenes from Titanic, I, Robot, and Avatar. The Titanic one is the opening scene from elder Kate Winslet through to when she gets out of the car on the docks. I, Robot is the scene where the large trailers of robots move into the city and tell people to respect the curfew, and then attack the police station. The Avatar scene is the one after he's "tamed" the flying beast.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to go back and check them out so I can add them to the review. I completely missed them.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
If it makes you feel any better, I totally missed them too until I tried to figure out where the hell my "cursor" was on the screen. There's a little box in the top right corner ("up" got me there) that reads something like "It's better in 3D".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks