What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Prolog Cable Modem Service in NJ/PA (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
My cable company, Service Electric of Sparta, in the sticks of northern nj has finally started offering broadband internet service through Prolog. Unfortunately right now and for the forseable future they are only setup to offer one way service. I don't know anyone who has used a one way cable modem service and was hoping someone who has used it could give me some feedback.

Also if anyone has used Prologs 1 way or 2 way service it would be appreciated if they could share their experience.

If I get the service I will be renting their modem initially and in the future I would like to buy one. The problem is buying it from them is expensive ($250) and I have been unable to find the model they use as it is discontinued. I need a modem that has a teleco return built in and I have been unable to find any at all other then the discontinued Motorolla Surfboard 3100 that they use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Anyone?

Perhaps if no one has any personal experiences with one way service to offer, instead those more knowledgeable about broadband could tell me what to expect out of such a service. I will be using the connection mainly for web browsing and downloading. Can I expect speeds comprabable to a two way service?

Also one of my concerns is sharing the connection with multiple computers. Now my cable company assures me I can use a router with their service as the telephone return is incorparated into the modem instead of through software. But will the very limited upstream bandwith make sharing this connection not very feasible? Again I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
No one has anything to add? I guess one way service isn't very common but I was hoping someone who maybe had it before could give me some insight.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Obviously your uploads will be slower, for just browsing the web I would guess you should be okay as long as your downstream speed is good. It might take a little bit to respond since you're sending commands over the phone line, but not terribly long; it's not a lot of data, but there is some latency in sending things.

I have had no practical experience, but this is from my understanding of the theory of one-way broadband.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help.

I ordered the service a couple days ago and it was just installed today. In case anyone was interested my impressions of it are pretty good. It exceeded my low expectations. Downloads and web surfing are reasonably fast, way faster then dialup but still not as fast as my old dormroom connection. The bandwidth is capped at 600 but since i appear to be the only one in the neighborhood with the service my speeds are constant without any drops so far.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Benson,

I had/have a similar situation. I've been using dial up for years and finally went to a cable one way service. Same deal here as RCN does not forsee an option of two way service in the future. However, my friend who lives about 8 miles from me, can get the two way service. :frowning:

Anyway, it's still much faster then dial up with bandwith about the same as yours, but I'd still love to have the two way. The good news was that RCN installed it without cost and is charging $20 for the first 3 months. After that, it jumps to $50, which is a bit steep for my blood at the moment, but such is life.

Charles

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I like the service but it definetly is not worth 50 bucks since it still needs an extra phone line. That means once you add in the cost of the phone line your paying around 60 a month.

Right now I am renting the modem for 10 a month but I would like to buy it. I really like the motorola modem they gave me but they want 250 for it. It doesnt require a router to use multiple machines but 250 is still too steep for a modem. I would like to buy it elsewhere but I can't find it anywhere or any other modem with the teleco return function.

If anyone has seen this modem anywhere for sale, let me know. Its a motorola surfboard sb3100d. It has to be the 3100d not the 3100 because the 3100 does not include the teleco return.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks