What's new

Progressive scan via S-video? (1 Viewer)

David_West

Auditioning
Just got Toshiba DVD with progressive scan. Salesman said to use Svideo cable to receiver, then another Svideo cable to tv. Does this bypass prog. scan (owners manual implies, but is unclear on this)?

Should I use component outs and hook DVD directly to tv to use progressive scan? If so, what type of cables do I get and where is good place to buy them?

Thanks in advance,

David

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
I would use the componets directly to the tv and your dvd player should have a digital coaxial or digital optical hookup. Use this straight to the receiver.

William H

Auditioning
I believe the only way to get progressive scan to work is that you HAVE TO use component cables. Whehter you run it from your dvd player into the receiver or direct to tv should not matter as long as it's component cable. And if you want DD/DTS, then you need the digital optical/coaxial cable.

Regards,

WH

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of tv do you have? Is it hdtv ready? If not, don't worry about progressive scan. Set dvd for interlaced.

Does your tv accept component inputs? This is the most desirable. You can pick up a set of cables from any electronics store.

You can use your reciever for video switching. What kind of receiver do you have? If it will accept s-video, what other s-video sources to you have? If none, no real advantage going through your receiver.

For future reference, it would make it easier to answer your questions if you provide a listing of your equipment and what you are attempting to do.

David_West

Auditioning
Dave:

Thanks for the advice on posting. I will follow it in future. TV is JVC that accepts component inputs, and it is hdtv ready. Onkyo receiver, with multiple S-video inputs, so far only DVD hooked up to it.

David

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
There is no such thing as 480p progressive scan via S-video or composite video.
I would suggest going right ahead into HDTV grade cables for the component video connection from your progressive player. "Ordinary" cables under 14 MHz video bandwidth can soften the picture.
More video tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks