What's new

Progressive scan and black level (1 Viewer)

I just got a Dell 2200mp projector and was having trouble correctly displaying the Avia test pattern for brightness. The black bars would not be visible regardless of how high you set the brightness on the projector.

Someone here on the forum gave me the excellent advice to change the black level setting within the DVD player’s menu. Worked like a champ, however... if I switch the DVD player over to progressive scan mode, I lose the black bars on the test pattern again. I’ve combed the menu on my player and there does not seem to be separate black level settings for progressive and non-progressive mode. My projector does not seem to have any black level settings at all.

My DVD player is the Panasonic CP72, which if I'm not mistaken is just the 5 disc changer version of the RP82.

Any advice and or suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,

Bill

greg_t

Screenwriter
If you are using component outputs, then you should set the 72's black level setting to Darker. I believe the 72 was very close to the 82, and the 82 can pass blacker than black in progressive mode, so the 72 should be able to as well.

I'm not positeve about the 72, but the 82 had two different places were you had to enable progressive scan. One was in the setup menu, and the other was in the display settings. Have you enabled progressive out in both places on the 72? If not, you're still in interlaced mode.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
On the Pannys, progressive mode always uses the 0 IRE setting (i.e. DARKER). The lighter setting outputs 7.5 IRE as the lowest black, as does broadcast television. Not much you can do about that.

Without knowing for sure... that was kind of my guess. I was hoping someone here was going to tell me otherwise. My Panasonic E80h DVD-recorder has a separate black level setting for component out. I've been using it as my main player with the new projector.

So I guess my next question is... what's a good DVD player for me to buy where I can set black level on the component out?

Thanks,

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks