What's new

Problems with SACD Playback on Sony 9000 (1 Viewer)

TerryPM

Agent
My Sony 9000 has started making very loud popping noises on SACD playback. It started out occasional but now it is unlistenable- frequent loud pops on all SACDs. If I switch to CD playback on hybrid discs it's fine.
Anyone else experience this problem? (I like to be informed before I call Sony Service)

TerryPM

Agent
Doing some troubleshooting, I find the problem is with all analog audio output.
Has anyone else experienced a problem with this?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Kevin, making sweeping statements like that really doesn't help with the topic. I think most would agree the 9000es SACD player in question is built like a tank and a bargin for the price.
Now, to the topic. Terry have you tried another input on your prepro/receiver? Do you have any other problems with any other analog pieces other than the 9000? Also, do you have access to another prepro/receiver just to rule out problems in that? Sorry for all the questions. Maybe a quick overview of your setup and connections may point out something. If nothing has changed recently, you are probably right it is the player. Sometimes faults you get are not related to the piece you think.

TerryPM

Agent
I'm switched to different inputs on my pre/pro (Proceed PAV/PDSD) and switched cables, all with the same results. No other analog input problems- I guess I need a trip to my Sony Service Center. I was hoping someone else might have experience with the problem, because my own previous experience with these service centers (most recently with Pioneer) is that if you don't know exactly what the problem is they don't have a clue either (maybe Sony will be different).

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Terry - My 9000ES is in the bedroom system and is connected in the bedroom with analog outs as well as through the wall to my Proceed system (AVP) with the 2nd set of analog outs. I have not noticed any problems and have a couple of dozen SACDs. I don't think that it would cause the problem that you are experiencing but did you try adjusting the input level of the analog inputs. I did notice on a couple of SACDs that I got a Analog to Digital Clipping message and adjusted the input level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks