1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

pro logic receiver as sub-amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Amayao, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

i was thinkin of doing a simple DIY sub project and wondering if it were possible to take the sub pre-out on my DD/DTS RECEIVER (PIONEER VSX-D810S), split it and run the DPL RECEIVER (PIONEER VSX-D512S) in stereo, and hook them up to two 8 inch subs/drivers. Seems possible, just unsure of what to expect as far as sound quality. I think right now LOUD and HARD is fine. im bored and if this project yields good results they may be a keeper. i was just curious and have some spare time on my hands. the drivers by the way are from my Cerwin-Vega towers (college speakers) and I have since purchased Energy Connesseiurs consisting of c-5's c-3's cc1-center x 2 for 6.1... may eventually upgrade to either strda4es or rxv-3300 for a receiver ....

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I used an old HK stereo rec for my first SVS and it worked great, but the dedicated amps I got later on were the real ticket.

The CV woofers you are using may require some extensive box engineering / EQ to yield good bass.

Good Luck!

3. Zac_F

Zac_F Agent

I'm using my Sony DPL rcvr to power my SVS 20-39cs sub at the moment. It works, but I expect it would have more oomph if I had something better.

4. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

Hey, Mark, I met you in the store a couple of weeks ago. Did you get the e-mail with the DIY sub links?

Answering your question - it sure would be worth a try, since you already own everything. I suspect the CV drivers will be the limiting factor on deep bass, rather than your amplification.

Peter

5. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

Zac,

You said that you are using a Sony DPL receiver as an amp for your sub. How exactly did you run the wires for that? I am curious because I would like to do the same.

Thanks,
    Jeff

6. derek

derek Second Unit

I've used older stereo receivers in the past to power my passive subs. Just take the subout from your 5.1 receiver and run it into a right or left input (aux/tape etc) to the old receiver...set the receiver in stereo mode...and run the r or l speaker out to the sub. I agree a dedicated amp will provide higher and tighter bass levels.

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I use a Pioneer VSX9300s 130w x2 to run my DIY 15" subs, Works great but I have been eying over a 250w sub plate amp!

Wes

8. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

That's exactly how my system is hooked up and it sounds great. A year or so ago I bought two passive subs on Ubid and I'm powering them with an older Kenwood DPL unit. I would have had to pay many times what I did to get this much bass from a powered sub.

9. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

My KLH amp went out about 2 weeks ago. I'm using my old Onkyo TX-SV646 to power my sub now. It sounds better than it did before. Thanks guys!!!! My Yamaha R-V905 is pushing the Onkyo TX-SV646 very well.
    [​IMG]