What's new

Prince of Darkness new Released (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Can anyone tell me what's the point of saying you are releasing a new DVD of Prince of Darkness only to include the exact same picture and 2.0 sound quality?

I heard they added a trailer, but why the hell go through the trouble of re-releasing if they aren't going to do anything? I was pretty excited when I heard they were going to release a new version. The old one is good, but could have been improved on in sooooo many ways!

Wow, this urks me:angry:

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
From www.dvdfile.com

Universal Studios Home Video has reissued Prince of Darkness in a new cheapie release after a year's-long moratorium. Image Entertainment previously released this cult fave in a rather solid 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, and this reissue looks exactly the same.
I too thought that the Image release was non-anamorphic, but it appears that it was anamorphic and the new one is too, albeit the same transfer as before.

I can't say I am surprised that Universal didn't create a new transfer if the old one is as satisfactory as the review indicates. It ain't like this film is a blockbuster that's going to rake in the cash for their coffers.

I'm just happy it is available again, as I intend to pick it up this time around. My only real gripe is the God-awful cover art, which is truly the work of the devil. :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
The point is just that the old version is out of print. I'd like an SE, but I'll settle for this since I don't have to pay 50+ for it on eBay like the old Image release.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Whoops, I should've checked my Image edition before posting. As Paul notes, that DVD is anamorphic. I guess that's one less disc I need to buy next week.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I can't say I am surprised that Universal didn't create a new transfer if the old one is as satisfactory as the review indicates. It ain't like this film is a blockbuster that's going to rake in the cash for their coffers.
"The Thing" wasn't a blockbuster either but it got the collector's edition treatment from Universal, same goes for "Big Trouble I Little China" from FOX.

The thing is, a movie can bomb at the B.O. YEARS ago but over time it can build a very sizeable following and most of Carpenter's work is an example of this.

I wasn't expecting Universal to produce 2 disc sets for either "Prince of Darkness" or "They Live" but they could've done *something* more for them.

MikeHughes

Agent
If you want a decent disc of "Prince of Darkness", you should look over to Region 2. The german/british release is anamorphic and has a John Carpenter audio commentary on it. And it is cheap too boot. :)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
If you want a decent disc of "Prince of Darkness", you should look over to Region 2. The german/british release is anamorphic and has a John Carpenter audio commentary on it.
Amen, brother. While I wouldn't write home about the transfer for Prince of Darkness, I was knocked out by how good the R2 transfer is for They Live.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Universal doesn't care. They licensed all those movies to Image for a while. The license expired. All the Image distributed movies went OOP and commanded hefty prices on E-Bay. Now, universal is just releasing the same ol transfers.

I mean, that's a pisser. I was hoping the would at least release the Euro versions with the commentary of They Live.

:frowning:

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
Unless my memory completely betrays me (and it does - a lot!), John Carpenter and Universal aren´t exactly on friendly terms as of now.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Well, if Carpenter isn't on good terms with Universal, I guess that doesn't suprise me. Give this release some meat!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks