What's new

Predictions on Big Catalogue releases for 2005? (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see Universal release THE BLACK CAT(1934), THE RAVEN and THE INVISIBLE RAY, along with their fifties giant bug and science fiction films. Plus nearly every film on Alistair's list!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Is this really needed?

Psycho and Vertigo could use 16x9 upgrades (even though the non-anamorphic DVD's out right now are excellent). The Man Who Knew Too Much '56 needs to be remastered from the Cineon digital restoration. However, many of the others like Rear Window, The Birds, and Rope look excellent already.

As am I. I sincerely hope that a Batman SE makes it out this year. Great news on the Hitchcock set also; I've held off on purchasing them because an updated release seemed likely; good to hear that it is.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well since the following were supposedly going to come out in 2004, let's hope they make it in 2005:

Bad Day at Black Rock
Top Hat
The African Queen
Mrs. Doubtfire SE
Home Alone SE

But I'm not holding my breath.

Frank*C

Grip
I'd like to see:

More Robert Bresson
More Kenji Mizoguchi
More Yasujiro Ozu
More Howard Hawks
More Ernst Lubitsch
More Luis Buñuel
More Otto Preminger
More Max Ophüls
More Roberto Rossellini
More Barbara Stanwyck
More Robert Mitchum
Warner Film Noir Classic Collection #2
Hollywood Pre Code Box Set
Make Way for Tomorrow
Magnificent Ambersons
The Double Life of Veronique
Raise the Red Lantern
City of Sadness
The Conformist
Berlin Alexanderplatz
Satantango
Jeanne Dielman

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Did you catch it at Cinematheque Marc? I missed it (dammit), but was also thinking that it must mean a release upcoming in 2005.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
batman and batman returns se
both 4 discs with everything on them they can find in the style of panic room

all the presidents men se

mad max 2 : the road warrior se
2disc with some involvement from at least miller

and a reservoir dogs dvd worth buying
and now i come to think of it a good coen bros dvd

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

DROPPED the ball big time. After spending $2 million to restore these films and re-igniting public interest via showings on FMC, Fox seems to trot out excuse after excuse not to release these (the latest deals with mysterious distribution rights problems). In the meantime, copies of these films sell in large numbers in the collector to collector market at prices equal to or even more than what Fox would charge. I would suggest licensing these out to Anchor Bay et al, but Fox has refused multiple requests by other companies to license these films.

Lest we forget, Peter Lorre's wonderful series of Mr. Moto films (all of which have been restored) has befallen the same fate.

Steve

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

This could use an anamorphic transfer, I suppose, but otherwise, what's wrong with the current one? It has lots of good features - I don't see how much needs to be added...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I listed it cause it was rumored to be coming last year and I'd buy it if the transfer improved. I guess I should have just said "Mrs. Doubtfire - better transfer" rather than SE, but if the better transfer comes, it'll be in the form of an SE.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I also expect the Astaire/Rogers movies to come out in 2005, as the folks WB told in a recent interview.
I'm very curious to find out what other titles were selected for the 2005 Fox Studio Classic Collection (waves 2 and 3). Hopefully, Jane Eyre, Lifeboat, Sitting Pretty, The Black Swan and The Gang's All Here will make the list.
Also hoping(hardly for 2005) for Ginger Rogers'RKO flicks (Bachelor Mother, Kitty Foyle, Tom, Dick and Harry), Pride and Prejudice, Waterloo Bridge, Garland/Rooney backyard musicals some Eleanor Powell and Jane Powell.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I could sure go for some SE's of the following:

Ferris Beuler's Day Off
Airplane
Naked Gun Trilogy

Just my own little wishlist :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

I can readily believe the second part of your statement. Unfortunately I see no indication of Breathless being released, which is a huge shame, because it is such a great film, and the DVDs of it out there SUCK (most (all?) are from 16mm prints). That is what leads me to wonder about the likelihood of a Criterion -- it may be very hard to find decent source elements.

Gaumont/Columbia/Tri-Star just released in R2 France, beautifully restored versions of Vivre sa vie, Masculin Feminin, 2 ou 3 choses que je sais d'elle and I suspect that they are the top candidates for 2005 Criterion Godards besides the one already announced.

Ted

p.s.I sure hope you're right about The Conformist

Kain_C

Screenwriter
The Sting SE
All the President's Men SE
Captain Horatio Hornblower (Peck version)
The African Queen
Braveheart SE
Sling Blade SE
Rope (a version I can find!!)
Cool Hand Luke SE
Miller's Crossing SE (Or Coen Bros. SE boxset!)
Batman SE

Some of the other choices I do not understand. Jaws? Exorcist SE? Pyscho?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to...

Warner Peckinpah Box
Warner Lewton-Tourneur Box
The High and the Mighty
Laura
Leave Her To Heaven
Call Northside 777
A Fistful of Dollars: SE
For a Few Dollars More: SE
A Fistful of Dynmaite: SE
Midnight Cowboy: SE
The Big Red One: Long Version
Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte

Pray for...

If...
O, Lucky Man!
Nightmare Alley
The Tarnished Angels
Bigger Than Life
The Innocents
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
Emperor of the North Pole
Napoleon (330 minute version)
Ace in the Hole
The Conformist
The African Queen
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956, restored, uncropped 1.33:1 ratio)
Man of the West (Anthony Mann)
The Tall T
The Great McGinty
Johnny Guitar
A Face in the Crowd
Greed
Bad Day at Black Rock
The Devils (uncut)

As for Universal remastering all their Hitchcocks, I would be very surprised at that, as most of the transfer are superb, as are the extras. Psycho and Vertigo could do with anamorphic remasters and the former should be a 2-disc next time around.

A 30th Anniversary Edition of Jaws would be most welcome if it had mono and the full 120-minute version of the documentary. A commentary by Carl Gottlieb would also be great, but it will never happen.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Is that definitely coming? Digital Bits recently reported that there would be an SE of The Graduate sometime this year, but I haven't seen anything about one for Midnight Cowboy.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
"As for Universal remastering all their Hitchcocks, I would be very surprised at that, as most of the transfer are superb, as are the extras. Psycho and Vertigo could do with anamorphic remasters and the former should be a 2-disc next time around."

I think its more to do with High Def coming in the next year or 2. I read that a lot of older movies that had transfers done for high def/sd a few years ago are going to be redone as the technology has improved in the last year or so. So I expect Universal are going to do new high def tranfers for HD-DVD/Bluray and will the Standard def downconversions at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks