Preamp questions,,,please help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bruin, May 22, 2003.

1. bruin

bruin Second Unit

I was planning on buying a preamp with dts and dolby digital processing as well as stereo. I've read that preamps have a noticeable difference compared to receivers.

My question is...has anyone tried comparing the sound when connecting
    1) the 6 channel outputs on their DVD player to their receiver's 5.1 inputs

and

2) connecting their DVD player to a separate preamp...

Any other cost saving configurations? I'm looking to see if I need a preamp. I listen to both HT and Music equally...

I guess this question boils down to whether preamp separates have better processing as opposed to the processing done in DVD players.

2. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Someone please explain why I should buy a preamp instead of using my DVD players processing and connecting them to the 6 channel inputs of a receiver...

3. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I'm not quite sure that I understand the question, but here goes with my take:

4. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Tim,

To clarify:

As of now I have:
    - an Harman Kardon AVR320 w/ a Parasound 855a amp powering my 5 speakers...so the HK is being used as a pre/pro

I was thinking of upgrading to a parasound dts/dolby digital preamp but it is an expensive upgrade.

I saw some pro logic parasound preamps that are cheaper with 6 channel inputs for dolby digital and dts.

So which one offers better sound? A dolby digital/dts preamp or a prologic preamp w/ 6 channel inputs?

Also, if go with a prologic preamp...wouldn't this be the same as using the 6channel inputs of my HK?

I don't know where I can audition a preamp....it would help if someone in the Northridge/Los Angeles area could let me borrow their preamp for a weekend but I doubt it. So if you guys can give your inputs that would be great.