What's new

Preamp questions,,,please help (1 Viewer)

bruin

Second Unit
I was planning on buying a preamp with dts and dolby digital processing as well as stereo. I've read that preamps have a noticeable difference compared to receivers.

My question is...has anyone tried comparing the sound when connecting
1) the 6 channel outputs on their DVD player to their receiver's 5.1 inputs

and

2) connecting their DVD player to a separate preamp...

Any other cost saving configurations? I'm looking to see if I need a preamp. I listen to both HT and Music equally...

I guess this question boils down to whether preamp separates have better processing as opposed to the processing done in DVD players.

bruin

Second Unit
Someone please explain why I should buy a preamp instead of using my DVD players processing and connecting them to the 6 channel inputs of a receiver...

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'm not quite sure that I understand the question, but here goes with my take:

I guess this question boils down to whether preamp separates have better processing as opposed to the processing done in DVD players.
Usually a separate pre will have better processing than that found in the DVD player. Most good receivers also have better processing that DVD players. It sounds to me that you're wanting to feed a signal into a pre/pro and then into a receiver. This is almost counter-productive. The advantages of using a separate preamp go hand in hand with the need to pair a separate outboard amplifier with it. If you're looking for better sound, you may try a separate amp first, using your current receiver as a pre.

bruin

Second Unit
Tim,

To clarify:

As of now I have:
- an Harman Kardon AVR320 w/ a Parasound 855a amp powering my 5 speakers...so the HK is being used as a pre/pro

I was thinking of upgrading to a parasound dts/dolby digital preamp but it is an expensive upgrade.

I saw some pro logic parasound preamps that are cheaper with 6 channel inputs for dolby digital and dts.

So which one offers better sound? A dolby digital/dts preamp or a prologic preamp w/ 6 channel inputs?

Also, if go with a prologic preamp...wouldn't this be the same as using the 6channel inputs of my HK?

I don't know where I can audition a preamp....it would help if someone in the Northridge/Los Angeles area could let me borrow their preamp for a weekend but I doubt it. So if you guys can give your inputs that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks