What's new

PQ differences: Codec or Mastering related? (was "AVC better than VC-1???") (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Thats actually easy.

Grand Prix
Hot Fuzz
The Bourne Identity
HollywoodLand
The Searchers
The Thing
Batman Begins

Just off the top of my head.

Doug

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've got the searchers (which is outstanding PQ) but the others I've only seen at my friend's house. I'll check those titles out next to my reference AVC discs...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The guys mastering this title should know what they did or didn't do, and eventually this information will get ferreted out. The first step is just making Paramount aware that we HD consumers aren't going to be happy with a feature film that can't even match its own image quality scene-for-scene from the bonus material on the same disc. Once something becomes a topic, then the studios take notice. I'm not in direct touch with Paramount reps, but there are folks on this and other boards who are... maybe they can put out some questions to the studio.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
44 posts & a "start" to figuring this out! ;-)
Good luck.
People have posted about this; special features, looking better than the main feature, B4 correct?
Wasn't it "The Incredibles"???

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

did you read the thread? It was *me* who reviewed the Incredibles and found that the bonus features looked better than the feature film (scene-for-scene). ;)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking a good test might be the BD of BAD SANTA, which includes both the unrated and "director's cut" as seperate encodes, one of which is VC1, and the other AVC. Although the cuts of the film are different, I'd imagine the common footage shared by both of them likely came from the same High-Definition master. Has anybody compared common scenes of these two cuts in their respective VC1 and AVC encodes on the BD?

Vincent

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Good call on Bad Santa.

Another factor to take note of is bit-rate. Many of the "soft" VC-1 image come from WB who tends to use a rather low average bit-rate. Disney has produced some very sharp VC-1 discs and tends to use a very high average bit-rate.

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to see the 176 minutes VC-1 encoded Grand Prix done better with AVC, because that was a superb stunner on HD DVD!

Voranand

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
voranand vivorakij

So "sharpness to the eyes" is the measurement of good PQ here? Sharpness can be decieving mainly because it can be contradictory to detail. Do you know that the sharper picture tend to provide less detail?

I guess different CODEC can be compared in the manner of comparing film stocks. For different film stocks, we already know that one is better at capturing some scenes than the others, or provide more suitable colorspace to some scenes than the others. Different CODECs can have advantage/disadvantage in the same manner. For example one could be a tiny little bit better at dealing with foggy scene and another could be a tiny little bit better at dealing with gradient sky. But that just an academic guessing on my part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks