What's new

Powered Subwoofer to amp w/o pwrd option (1 Viewer)

geronimocka

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hello, It's been awhile since I did anything on a forum. What I have is a problem tring to hook up my Sony DAV-DZ100 to a total of 8 speakers & 2 center & 2 subwoofers ( 1 being powered other is not).Flat Panel 5.1 Speaker SystemSA-FT7ED is the other set of speakers. I wanted to know if there is any possible way in hooking up this powered sub woofer to my amp? it has a spot for the normal subwoofer and then audio in R/L jacks ( for Sat/Video), and Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr There is also a S-Video & yellow jack below it. I have a R/Frt , L/Frt , Surround/L , Surr/r ,Center, Subwoofer . I hope I have included everything. Also on my Power subwoofer is a single line In , out, and jacks for 4 seperate speakers . I realize this is a lot of speakers , but my whole downstairs has just been completed with a long over due remodel and I had it set-up for excellent sound quality. Theater room is 21x 20 and I want all that I can get out of it. Most of the equiptment I have , I was awarded for being top salesmen last year for my company. Along with a 52" Sony WEGA, HDTV projection TV. I am willing to buy what I would need to hook this all up as long as it is within reason. ( under $400.00)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I couldn't find that model number at Sony's site. Is it an all in one unit? If so just stick with the speakers it came with. Adding a second center channel can create problems if it's not done for the right reason. based on it being a home theater in a box (HTIB) I don't see a way to really add the powered sub. Save the powered sub for when upgrade to a sand alone receiver.

geronimocka

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
hello, Thanks for the advise and here is a link to my system. Some1 told me that if I used the speaker jacks on the powered sub I can run them on the front and it'll play thur them all. But I thought you had to have at least the in line connected to a source of power from the sub side of the amp to drive it? http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...ductId=1001242 Specs show 120watts going to the Subwoofer.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
As long as your powered sub has on the back 4 red and 4 black speaker terminals you are fine to hook it up.

------red,B,B,Red
Input - O O O O
output O O O O
-------right left

That is called the High level input. If you look close one is marked Input and the other is marked output. under or over should be marked left and Right.
May "diagram" above should be a close example. You're labels on the sub will tell you exactly which is which. the "O"'s represent the speaker wire connections.

you connecet the right channel Speaker wire out from the amp the the Right channel in on the sub, same with the left. Then Connent your Speakers Right and left to the Output side. If it's a HTIB with Plugs on the ends that go into the amp you'll have to cut the wires and just run them through the sub. If they do have the plugs on the ends that plug into the amp...Take a very close look at the wires, in very small print they will usually be labeled which one is positive. If not one usually has a stripe on it and the other doesn't. Just keep them the same on the inputs and outputs of the powered sub. You should be good to go!...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I am still very leery about modifying the speaker configuration of a HTIB. Do all of the speakers that came with it plug into the back of the DZ100, or do they plug into the subwoofer that came with it?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
From my experience with these type of units the sub is just another speaker high level out all on it's own. The crossover is in the HTIB head unit and the sub is nothing more than a 8" cone getting only sub frequencies sent to it via high level sub (crossover) out of the HTIB. ( 2 conductor speaker wire) no outputs from the sub. Just actings as a speaker.

geronimocka

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
The powered sub woofer is not from the DZ100 . That sub woofer has just 2 plugins from the amp ( + -). I have a 1 piece jack ( + - ) that plugs into the back of the amp and then the wires are seperated to plug into the back of the speakers. My powered subwoofer has the set-up as Homethtr described , but I still need to know. Don't I have to have the line ( in out) ( Larger cable then speaker wires) connected as well for the woofer to work?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
No you don't it' either one way or the other.. either the Line level LFE single cable OR as I describd above High Level speaker input. never both at the same time.

geronimocka

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I want to thank you both for all your help. Homethtr I hooked the surr R/L speakers to the powered sub and it works great!! Adam , Thank you as well. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have been able to do this @ all. I'll drop by now & then 2 c what is goin on.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
Oh YA
got the Power
gonna blast that sound
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
:emoji_thumbsup:

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Glad you got it up and running, the only thing I seen wrong in your post is the fact the you said you hooked up the surround L/R through the sub. It should be the Front L/R Speakers. I'm not sure if you just wrote the post wrong or you actually did run the Rear Surrounds through the sub. If you did run the Rear through you will get some base, but only that which would be coded for the Rears, you would even have better sound if the Fronts were running through the sub. I wasn't specific in my post when referring to L/R speakers. If you have the rears going through now, try the same with the fronts. They receive way more information then the rears and it will be even Better! ( besides that's the way it should be)

Glad we could help. Thanks to this site and the owners as well.
I'd recommend this site to anyone!!

Keep up the great work Administrators!

geronimocka

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Totally , Utterly & Completely Awsome
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
HomeThtr < you were right on both accounts. I just switched them the way you said and what a difference it made. Thx again for all the help. !!!!

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I've dealt with it once before I think:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Or maybe 1000 times... can't remember anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks