What's new

Power Consumption (1 Viewer)

Shorty Boy76

Agent
Real Name
Pastor Tree
Ok, so I read in the back of the manual of my receiver (Yamaha V863) that the total power consumption is 400watts. Does this mean that after the front 2 channels (105 w x 2) that the other 5 channels receive about 38 watts apeice?:confused:

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Power consumption and power output are different things. It's not a 1 to 1 relationship. In fact, the amps are not that efficient and it draws much more power than it puts out.

Shorty Boy76

Agent
Real Name
Pastor Tree
No wonder a lot of people go pre/pro instead of Receiver. So could I expect the rated watts of my reciever not even to be half of what is stated?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Wattage alone, though, doesn't tell you much of anything. Choosing one receiver over another due to wattage differences is kinda like choosing a sports car based on the size of the wheels.

If you have efficient (sensitive) speakers, you don't need a lot of power for high SPL.

If you have inefficient speakers that are low impedance, and you consistently crank it to near max levels, then you'll experience issues with lower power output. This is why we almost always recommend getting 8 ohm speakers with decent sensitivity - for most of the population, it will take wattage almost completely out of the equation.

Real Name
Darron Sanders
Shorty Boy76 said:
Ok, so I read in the back of the manual of my receiver (Yamaha V863) that the total power consumption is 400watts. Does this mean that after the front 2 channels (105 w x 2) that the other 5 channels receive about 38 watts apeice?:confused:
When playing a disc, the multi-channel digital formats allow equal wattage to each channel. If a 5-one system then each speaker receives the 105 watts.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Home Theater Magazine's lab test showed 5 X 42. http://www.hometheater.com/content/yamaha-rx-v863-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures. That's a little lower than average but still more than 90% of us really need.

Real Name
Darron Sanders

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks