What's new

Potentially Good News Regarding Paramount's Future DVD Output (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Crawdaddy and Ron about Paramount. You pay more, but I have almost never had any issue with their transfers unlike some companies (cough, Universal, cough...) and have been happy to know that their material is going to all be OAR without any nasty surprises (cough, MGM and Disney, cough...).

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
If it's just the movie that counts, VHS is indeed the format for you. DVD is a collector's format.
I, too, am rather put-off by that statement.

There was a time when "if it's just the movie that counts.." meant getting the lasersdisc - which rarely had those over-bloated supplements.

I like supplements and all, but to me, "it's just the movie counts", I am a collector, and I'd rather see it in the best format possible. VHS ain't it.

Joel

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
They botched the transfer on "Forrest Gump" IMHO. Some HORRIBLE Edge Enhancement. And the decision to go Non-annie w/"Titanic" still irks me. Potential problems with some players and down-conversion my Irish heinie!
:frowning: D

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
They were too busy praising themselves for repeatedly "inventing" the car that drives.
Where? I have never seen anything from Paramount reps other than the normal promotion that you would expect. Paramount didn't invent DVD and have never made any claims that it did.

StevenW

Second Unit
Paramount does release quality transfers, but as a major studio, it's what they're supposed to do. It's expected. Many of you are treating this as a bonus.
Amen to that. Hopefully, if anything, this change can bring forth more Special Editions.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I know people tend to associate Paramount DVDs as "bare bones" but the recent Star Trek Special Editions have been fabulous, as well as Roman Holiday.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think the point is that while they do release quality transfers, it's usually on every film. Most studio's skip around with that from film to film.

I don't think a few special editions makes up for the bare-boned released of the other 30 or so catalogue releases of 2002...

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Paramount will be # 1 with me if....
:emoji_thumbsup: They give LIL ABNER a widescreen DVD release; extras
would be great; interview Valerie Harper--she was
one of the dancers! ;)
:emoji_thumbsup: Restore THE GREAT GATSBY (1974) with >original<
soundtrack; not the redubbed abomination.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yup, when it comes to really special features (DTS, directors' cuts, commentaries, quality documentaries, sometimes even trailers) Paramount falls flat on their collective face time after time after time... their barebones stuff is priced as high as many studios topped out special editions, some of their transfers are indeed only average when compared to the best efforts by New Line, Warner Brothers, and yes even Disney (when they aren't messing anything up)... and I'm supposed to fall on my knees and praise them openly?

Come on!

All the money they've been saving by not putting any real hard effort into their releases (even by some standards the Star Trek collector's editions are nothing all that spectacular when most of them so far are just repackagings of the same 16x9 transfers and sound mixes as before with a few snippets of featurettes slapped together) they could be properly restoring their classic films' negatives and sound stems by top professionals (*cough* To Catch a Thief and The Ten Commandments as examples *cough*) for archival purposes to allow the next generation to enjoy these treasures.

They should take a tip from New Line with usually excellent DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 remixes (heck, even Anchor Bay and Artisan do that much!) and the guts to allow a filmmaker to come out with the extended cuts and loaded supplements that he wants using the best technology available.

Dan

DanR

Supporting Actor
Conspiracy theorists unite!!! :)
With all of the trouble between Paramount and Lucasfilm (which has been going on since 1999, but which was only recently confirmed by Steven Spielberg) regarding Indiana Jones, Hollywood heavyweights George Lucas and Steven Spielberg must have "forced" out the head of home video at Paramount. Hey, you NEVER know!!! LOL.
On a serious note, I've been really critical of Paramount for about three years now. Yes, they have some great DVDs, but other studios are doing it better IMHO. It was time for a change over there.
Now, where's my Indy Jones Trilogy...
Regards,
Dan

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
All the money they've been saving by not putting any real hard effort into their releases (even by some standards the Star Trek collector's editions are nothing all that spectacular when most of them so far are just repackagings of the same 16x9 transfers and sound mixes as before with a few snippets of featurettes slapped together) they could be properly restoring their classic films' negatives and sound stems by top professionals (*cough* To Catch a Thief and The Ten Commandments as examples *cough*) for archival purposes to allow the next generation to enjoy these treasures.
While To Catch A Thief may need more work, The Ten Commandments looks terrific. I remember the old TTC transfer featuring green mist in the Passover sequence. The restored version finally has it being WHITE.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
It would be great to get some of the Paramount musical films, hopefully now that "Chicago" is a hit the studio will release them.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek II: DC video looks better than the original version and is not just a repackage. Even Star Trek III: SE looks slightly better than the original.

You've stated the truth, but that's nothing in reply to some of the problems with Paramount. First, you bought a Paramount disc through Columbia House, where any disc is going to be heavily discounted on first purchase runs. And secondly, you bough Redux on release day, where there's a high chance of price reduction. What happens on other days though?
On the other days, you want several months and buy it through Columbia House! Actually, Redux can be ordered for $13.00+ from several online retailers. As what is true with ANY DVD, the consumer needs to be alert and look for the best deal. I have NEVER paid $25.00 for a single disc DVD in the 3+ years I have been buying.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
PARAMOUNT WILL DO SNAPPERS NOW TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lipinski is part owner of the company that makes snappers!!!! that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope this is not true!!!!!!!!!!

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I will give Paramount this much credit: they do make an effort of remixing older soundtracks into a 5.1 mix and if usually release another soundtrack in it's original 2.0 stereo, mono, surround mix.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Walt, it may be "a given" that we expect fine transfers from all studios when we buy dvd's, but it doesn't always work out that way. What people in this thread are saying (and I agree) is that Paramount consistently produces fine transfers, and when one buys a Paramount disc, one buys with confidence. Can't say that about Columbia, MGM, Artisan or any number of others.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Yup, when it comes to really special features (DTS, directors' cuts, commentaries, quality documentaries, sometimes even trailers) Paramount falls flat on their collective face time after time after time
I did an interview recently with Martin Blythe for my year-end article on DVDs. I didn't have room to use it in the article, but he did say that Paramount was looking to add DTS to more titles this year. That was before the head honcho switch, though.

I'm also not sure I buy the quality documentaries argument. True, many Paramount DVDs don't have them, but when they do, they're conistently good.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Paramount consistently produces fine transfers
i find them VERY inconsisent. enemy at the gates, forrest gump, we were soldiers (the unintentional flaws - EE), mission impossible 2 were either very poor or unimpressive. and their earlier titles were no picnic either.

but on the other hand, they can produce very good transfers.

to me, that's inconsistency.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I am not saying Paramount is perfect and is
above criticism. Reading this thread, I must
admit that I agree with all of you on several
points.

Fact of the matter is, I can't figure out this
business anymore. In my opinion, all of the
studios have their flaws. Just about all of
them have sold out to the lowest common buyer.

Still, I judge a studio by the people who
represent them. Martin Blythe is a class act
as far as I am concerned. The studio has been
very supportive of this forum and I am sure that
Martin could not have helped us as much as he
has without the blessings of Eric Doctrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks