1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Popeye The Sailor The 1940s Volume 1 Blu Ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Timothy Bodzioney, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Timothy Bodzioney

Timothy Bodzioney Stunt Coordinator
    Reviewer

Tim
  2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    The popular opinion with Popeye shorts is the series jumped the shark when Popeye joined the Navy with "You're a Sap Mr. Jap" and never really recovered so its not surprising to be disappointed by these mid-40s Famous era shorts.

3. stinky fitzwizzle

Rod
    Mr. Bodzioney, needy orphans can be of any age, so don't make fun.

Stinky is looking forward to his copy.

4. kitt1987

kitt1987 Agent

Andy
    Granted these are not the "best of the best" of the shorts but nevertheless they warrant a purchase and viewing to put things in perspective. To my knowledge these have never seen the light of day on home video of any kind. As stated in the review, it is important that if you support classic animation to be released on any physical format, to consider purchasing this volume to help convince Warner that there is a market for these releases. I was thrilled myself when this was announced and pre-ordered in the hopes that not only would we get future volumes but am extremely hopeful that we would get a reissue of the earlier Fleischer shorts on blu ray. That, of course, remains to be seen.

Timothy Bodzioney likes this.
  5. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    These look amazing and I love them because I remember seeing them when I was a little kid. I even remember Pop-Pie a la Mode. My friends and I kept quoting the last line, "Salami, salami, baloney!" As flawed as they are, I'm thrilled that we have them because of their historical value.

6. Dan_Shane

Dan_Shane Stunt Coordinator

Dan Shane
    Posters toss around the words "flawed" and "lackluster", but that seems to be mostly in comparison to the superior Fleischer shorts. Held up against Terrytoons or some Columbia cartoons of the period I would still consider the Famous Popeye shorts very good examples of 1940s animation. Certainly the art and technical aspects of the cartoons are top-notch, with great use of squash-and-stretch. These films were very popular in their day for good reason.

Now, if I had been overseeing the studio in that period (a likely fantasy), I would have leaned more heavily on the wartime propaganda angle that put Popeye and Bluto in US Navy uniforms in the first place. The repeated contest of who would "win" Olive (while started many years earlier) became practically the only setup going forward, and the interjection of the boys into international naval scenarios would have been welcome.

The cartoons in this set may represent the top of the slippery slope of monotony that Famous Studios really hit full speed with Casper ("A g-g-g-g-g-ghost!") and Baby Huey (You're not my Ma -- you're the Fox!"), but at least this first color set makes me smile fairly frequently.

Timothy Bodzioney and RBailey like this.
  7. Timothy Bodzioney

Timothy Bodzioney Stunt Coordinator
    Reviewer

Tim
    The Caspers are tough; it's the same cartoon over and over and it wasn't funny the first time. At least Baby Huey's voice makes me laugh.

8. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    I loved both these series of cartoons as a child, but I probably was about 8 when I started to find them too juvenile. I agree that they are unwatchable today.

9. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    Hey! My friend and I are 72 and we're still doing it. Asamattafact just last Sunday it came up for some reason during our weekly movie day. The gag is actually recycled from the 1939 Popeye Technicolor two-reeler Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp. Can't remember which one I saw first, seeing as how that had to have been around 60 years ago.

warnerbro and Detour (1945) like this.
  10. Dan_Shane

Dan_Shane Stunt Coordinator

Dan Shane
    Oh, I can still watch them (spaced a good distance apart) for the animation techniques, but it is a chore.

The Famous series that irritated me even as a kid were the bouncing-ball sing-alongs. They may have worked in the theaters for people who remembered the nickelodeons (as seen in HUD), but on Saturday morning TV in the 1960s this kid groaned at every one of them.

Rob W likes this.