What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pop up credits interrupting TV shows (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Currently watching the latest episode of "Elementary" and 20 minutes into a 60 minute episode they're still popping up credits for editor, director, whatever.
A few minutes at the beginning listing the actors and guest stars is fine, but 20 minutes later they're still listing people. If I want to know the director, writer, etc. I can find it on the network web site, or better yet, why don't they just wait and list things at the end as is done with movies.
Luckily my brain seems to ignore them and I look past them and other pop-up garbage that shows up, but there is still that brief flash of your brain noticing some worthless text on the screen which just for a moment takes you out of the scene you're watching. It's incredibly annoying.
Wish there was a way like closed captioning where it could be my choice, not stuck with the networks interrupting the show. I've seen other shows with complete, animated teasers right on top of the original broadcast. Those seem to have faded away, so hopefully with us complaining things can improve.
Just posting my rant for the day, but curious about other people's opinions.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Rant back at you...

Pop-up ads and bugs bother me a little bit.

Credits? Not at all. I wouldn't characterize them as an "interruption" either. An interruption would be stopping the show dead. Credits show up in a corner. No big deal.

Your "viewers choice" idea is never going to happen, either. I'm sure proper onscreen crediting is part of the standard SAG contract.

And finally, they're not "worthless text" to the people involved. The people who, BTW, bring you the entertainment you are enjoying for FREE.

In short, this is a classic first-world problem. Get over it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I prefer a show wait for a slower moment or for a scene where they are trying to set up the story of the episode to put credits up rather than putting them up with no regard for what's happening on screen. I've seen shows where they put up the credits over an emotional scene or an action scene, etc. just because they apparently wanted to hurry up and finish the credits.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Except for ABC, the episode credits are displayed on screen after the credits sequence (if the show still has one) or the series title card (if it doesn't). If the episode in question has a long first act, as many do nowadays, it's possible that the credits didn't START displaying until 16 or 17 minutes into the episode.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Craig S said:
Rant back at you... ;)
And finally, they're not "worthless text" to the people involved. The people who, BTW, bring you the entertainment you are enjoying for FREE.
In short, this is a classic first-world problem. Get over it. 
I don't consider them worthless text, these people have done a good job and deserve to be recognized. It's just the placement within a show that bothers me. I doubt I'll boycott these shows, but the way they try and shove their names into your face bothers me. Just because "John Doe" directed or wrote the episode actually lowers my respect for the person because of how the credits are done.
Along with my previous rant, I wish they'd give it up on all the "producer" credits. They're ridiculous, "producer", "executive producer", "co-executive producer", "contributing producer", "helpful producer" or whatever other made up title they can come up with. Who cares.
It's just a way for people to get a "title" and get paid, but why does it have to be shown during the episode? Give them credit at the end of the show and don't interrupt the episode.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
I don't consider them worthless text, these people have done a good job and deserve to be recognized. It's just the placement within a show that bothers me. I doubt I'll boycott these shows, but the way they try and shove their names into your face bothers me. Just because "John Doe" directed or wrote the episode actually lowers my respect for the person because of how the credits are done.
Along with my previous rant, I wish they'd give it up on all the "producer" credits. They're ridiculous, "producer", "executive producer", "co-executive producer", "contributing producer", "helpful producer" or whatever other made up title they can come up with. Who cares.
It's just a way for people to get a "title" and get paid, but why does it have to be shown during the episode? Give them credit at the end of the show and don't interrupt the episode.
While I realize that most people don't care, I like knowing who is involved in the creation of the show that I'm a fan of and I like that they get some recognition for their work. I might agree with you about having their credits at the end but the networks are usually too busy squeezing the credits down to 1/3 of the screen (or less) in order to advertise another show so if the credits were pushed to end of the show, no one would really get a legible credit until the DVD came out. Not to mention that the end credit sequences of most network TV shows are about 30 seconds so they'd have to increase the running time of the end credits to accomodate all the individual cards for each person and no network is giving up the money from a commercial or two just for a credit sequence.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am pretty sure that there are various union rules regarding credits. So it's not simply a matter of giving credit, but of getting paid.
Of course, I don't know that there are any rules regarding when or how prominently credits are displayed, as long as they show up. (Then there's the trend of running the credits at high speed in tiny size for syndicated shows and movies.)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/324939/pop-up-credits-interrupting-tv-shows#post_3997578
While I realize that most people don't care, I like knowing who is involved in the creation of the show that I'm a fan of and I like that they get some recognition for their work.

Yes, but to what level. Do you really care who did the grip work on Homeland? Opening credits should really be limited to stars, writers, director, music, editing, and perhaps creators and cinematographers. Those are ones who 'make' the show what it is, and all most people are really interested in. Producers (and there are usually many), casting, production design, etc can appear at the end credits.

Not that I really care about the issue - just tossing my two cents in. I'm more annoyed by animated ads that take up the bottom 1/4 of the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GAMark
Recent bookmarks