What's new

'Fess up, people - You think CHiPs is the greatest TV show EVER, and it is! (2 Viewers)

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
In searching out CHiPs threads here, I see many a "Season this or that" hard media release discussion, but no pure appreciation thread.

In some 20+ years of this forum's existence, HOW is this possible???

Easily the dumbest, coolest, most exciting and purely fun series EVER, it's unequaled in its capacity to entertain without shocking you, or breaking your brain or your heart.

The stunts?

AMAZING.

The peek into the cultural and physical landscape of L.A. 40+ years ago?

PRICELESS.

The capacity of the show to make you laugh, or thrill you, or genuinely touch you, and almost always unexpectedly?

ENDLESS.

The excitement of spotting future or past celebrities in zany supporting or cameo roles?

INDESCRIBABLE.

I just saw an episode today that featured a famous Woody Allen ex, and I kept thinking "Who IS that?" until I looked her up.

The kooky coolness of the show just never stops (well, maybe in the final Baker-free season...), and it's time we celebrated all things CHiPpy!

Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba!!

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
You forgot the fantastic music score.
That's what my last line alluded to! :)

But you mean fantastic and then MORE fantastic; the pre-disco score was amazeballs, but the disco redo?

Ambrosia!!!

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck

'Fess up, people - You think CHiPs is the greatest TV show EVER, and it is!​

Quite frankly, I have no opinion on the matter. I've never seen a single episode of the show.
If you ever want to watch a show where one car swerving on the highway will cause the trailing 3 dozen+ cars to spontaneously crash, explode, roll over and behave in actions not dictated by physics, then its the show for you.

I can't recall a TV show that had stupider automotive mayhem ever produced.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor

'Fess up, people - You think CHiPs is the greatest TV show EVER, and it is!​

Quite frankly, I have no opinion on the matter. I've never seen a single episode of the show.
This was me before I got hooked!

I've only seen it in reruns, but was immediately taken with its kookiness.

Whatever you do, DON'T ever watch an episode, or you could end up a hardcore CHiPophile like me! :eek:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This was me before I got hooked!

I've only seen it in reruns, but was immediately taken with its kookiness.

Whatever you do, DON'T ever watch an episode, or you could end up a hardcore CHiPophile like me! :eek:

Don't worry. I've managed to stay temptation-free since the show first aired, and I've got enough other things to watch that I don't imagine that my status will ever change in the future.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
If you ever want to watch a show where one car swerving on the highway will cause the trailing 3 dozen+ cars to spontaneously crash, explode, roll over and behave in actions not dictated by physics, then its the show for you.

I can't recall a TV show that had stupider automotive mayhem ever produced.
Completely insane, right?

The really crazy thing is that some of the stunts were incredible - and quite dangerous - so you have this parallel thing where the show is super-cheesy and implausible, but also genuinely thrilling at times from an execution standpoint; breathtaking.

Part of its fun & charm! :)

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1673509452560.png

1673509494490.png

1673509674776.png

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
Emergency! is in the same time frame and style. Paramedics Gage and Desoto operating out of Station 51. Chicago Fire has an Engine 51 in honor of it. Loved both shows.
Dragnet, Adam-12, Emergency! and then CHiPs - all great in their own way, with Dragnet one of the greatest series of all time; incredible season to season QC.

But the reason I love CHiPs the most is that UNLIKE the other 3, it's silliness factor is nearly always off the charts, and it skews the youngest and least disturbing.

So what makes a classic like Dragnet great - it's brilliantly handled heavy themes (that post MLK-assassination episode!) - is nearly always absent in CHiPs.

Just good clean kooky fun! :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Dragnet, Adam-12, Emergency! and then CHiPs - all great in their own way, with Dragnet one of the greatest series of all time; incredible season to season QC.

But the reason I love CHiPs the most is that UNLIKE the other 3, it's silliness factor is nearly always off the charts, and it skews the youngest and least disturbing.

So what makes a classic like Dragnet great - it's brilliantly handled heavy themes (that post MLK-assassination episode!) - is nearly always absent in CHiPs.

Just good clean kooky fun! :)
I own all the DVD seasons, and bought the first season digitally because of the HD is stunning. Widescreen though, not OAR unfortunately. It is great 70's escapism. Lots of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks