What's new

poor dvd picture on my pc... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey all -

i tried to play a dvd on my system (2.53 p4, 128m video, 512, etc) and it looked horrible.

now i could have sworn i tried it when i first put it together and i don't remember it looking this way.

the picture is very dark and somewhat "jittery". it's not really pixellated, but the picture literally shakes.

i'm using power dvd software and have verified that all the settings are (i think) correct.

the only thing i can think of is somewhat recently my drivers for both my cd-roms...disappeared. i went into device manager and it couldn't find them. i was able to add them back in easily enough. there are no updated drivers on the manufactuers website.

my dvd drive is some generic sony model...i can get the exact model number if you think it will help.

any ideas?

thx!

James T

Screenwriter
Do you have DMA enabled? If not, enable it and it'll help with the jittering. I used to use PowerDVD, and upgraded a lot of stuff and I never had probelms with picture quality.

Can you list your settings in Power DVD?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey james -

i'm pretty sure i do have dma enabled, but i'll double-check. i'm not at home, but i'll verify my powerdvd settings.

what's weird is i think it used to be okay. i very rarely ever watch a dvd on my pc, but i just want to make sure all is well.

type to ya soon...

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Does the entire picture frame shake, or is it only the contents of that frame? Does it happen in both a window and full-screen? Does it happen when there is no movement in the video?

You might want to fiddle with the deinterlace settings. Also, if you can find an MPEG file that you can play off the hard disk (interlaced would be the best test), you can determine if your DVD drive has anything to do with it.

//Ken

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

well, i think my crack dealer must be short-changing me again. i just popped in "being john malkovich" and it played fine. :rolleyes

the picture is still a little dark, but the image is rock-steady. i did bump the video setting to "bright" and that helped a little.

i can live with it - in all the time i've had this pc, this is only the third time i've actually used the darn dvd-rom to actually play a dvd!

thx for the help guys!

ted

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I am also having a problem with my picture quality but of a different nature. I don't know if it has something to do with the transfer or my player settings.

Specifically, on the Family Guy: Volume 2 DVD, in the episode "The Thin White Line" Brian's white fur bleeds over the edges of him and the edges appear jagged. The place I'm talking about in the episode is the same play Adam Reiter took screenshots of when he did his review. The screenshots he took look lightyears beyond what plays on my computer.

Plus, when there is movement, there noticable interlacing. This looks more like a transfer problem but the first one is definetly a player problem. I use PowerDVD. Is there a setting that needs to be changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks