What's new

Polk speakers again. What would you do? Help me decide (1 Viewer)

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, it's me again.

I just bought 4 RTi38's and a CSi40 Center. I can take one pair of the RTi38's back and get a pair of RTi70's for $282.00 more. What would you do?

My room is 11'3" 33' X 8. Part of it is the dinning room. I have an Onkyo TX-SR500 receiver, but plan to upgrade it in a few months. I have been thinking Denon 2803 or Yamaha RX-V1400 because if I go with a better Onkyo, it will not fit in my stand,(to deep). I like the way the Onkyo sounds, just do not think the 500 has enough power.

I run 2 Sony SA-WM 40 Subs and they do well for movies. I plan on getting an SVS someday (25 31 plus I think).

I'm 80 to 90% movies. The RTi38's do not seem to have enough bass on music. If I bump the bass up on the receiver about 4 to 6 DB, music sounds better. That's with no Subs running. With both Subs, the RTi38's and the CSi40, movies kick butt. Underworld Rocked with 106 DB peaks very easy.

One more question. Do I want to go 6.1 when I get a new receiver? I can also get a CSi30 for $127.00, should I?

I have the pair of CSi70's and a CSi30 set aside for me and I can go pick them up.

I love this place. Hell, I think I'm addicted to this place! Anybody else feel that way?

Help me decide. What would you do?

Thank You,
Bill

Dave Shepard

Agent
I say go for it and don't wait long. I use the same speakers 2-70s'front, 40 fornt center, 2-fx-30's side, 2-38's rear I also have an extra 40 waiting for another 40 also for the rear so I can A/B the 38's and 40's for the rear. I'm using a Denon 3803 7.1 and the sound is excellant. If you can get another 40 for your rear so everything will match perfictally, but the 30 will also do a good job and I would recomend getting a 6.1 over a 5.1 but if poss. go for a 7.1 reciever even if your not ready for it it leaves that poss. open. Oh yea my sub is the SVS PB2+ and it kicks like a mule when called upon.

Good luck and run fast

Dave

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Bill,

I understand your dilemma for I have been contemplating myself which direction to go on my next speakers? RTi8-mains, RTi6-surrounds and the CSi5-center is a option I plan on checking out.

If you have 3-4' behind your listening area then 6.1 would be nice. I decided to turn my S-B off because I don't have the required space behind seating. My S-Bs were directly over me angled down. It's nice to go with a couple S-B speakers also, as opposed to one.

As for your comment on possibly being addicted to the Forum. I think many might feel the same? I know I spend more time on the Forum than actually experiencing it some days.

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
Guess I should of said my 38's are 3'4" behind my listening area. If I go 6.1 the rear center will be 8' behind the 38's and on top of the china cabinet. I can not get the 38's beside the listening area because the room is not wide enough and there is a tall window on the left side.

Bill

Mike Reeter

Agent
Bill,I also have the 70's and a CSi40 center,makes for a very good front soundstage...like Dave,I have a Denon 3803,I use FXi30's plus dual CSi245's for the back surrounds.

I prevously owned a 6.1 AVR with one 245 rear center,I moved into the 7.1 and I really can't hear a big difference in the rear soundstage,just a higher quality sound with the Denon.

Upgrade to the 70's,I don't think you will ever regret it,the CSi30 would make a good rear center or a pair of 38's would be good setup also,good luck!!!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I will only say that if you are buy'n a new receiver, almost no reason no to at least get a 6.1 setup.

The extra processing alone is the a very good reason for going with a 6.1 setup, even if you only plan on using 5.1 with it.

On the upgrade, better to upgrade than to keep thinking. Should I upgrade??? Over and over again.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Until yesterday I owned Polk R30's for my mains... until I walked into Circuit City and found a pair of RTi70's on open box special for $300/pr. Since they were basically brand new, I checked them inside and out first, apparently they were purchased, found to be to too large for the person and returned after about 3 days. I got these speakers home and I AM AMAZED at the sound they can put out. Finally I can listen to 2-channel music without a sub and still get all the good musical bass. Finally I can't localize my sub because I can crossover my RTi70's at 60HZ and it sounds wonderful! I highly recommend these things. My sound stage opened up and my mids are much much clearer now. I can't wait to go home today just to listen to them more!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks